FORUMS: list search recent posts

Un-nesting clips in a sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Wais
Un-nesting clips in a sequence
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:34:18 pm

First of all, I am fully aware that this seems to be a question that comes up just about every single day, but in scouring forums I still can't find an actually efficient solution so I'm giving it one last try here and then hopefully some day Apple developers will start to realize that they should be developing FCP for editors and not for software nerds.

Basically, I cut several pieces :60 seconds a piece. Footage was shot on Alexa so for finishing purposes I need to deliver an EDL with original filenames intact. I first strung my dailies into selects strings and cut sequence to sequence because I'm primarily an Avid editor and that is just the most logical way to cut in my opinion. I know you could copy and paste from the selects sequences, but then you have no control over which layer a clip is placed on and it's just annoying. So now it's time to prep an EDL for color grading and picture conform (the facility can't take XML's, though I'm not sure an XML would fix this problem anyway) and of course I'm stuck with an EDL that only has the name of the select sequences and not the original master clip. Obviously, I COULD have my assistant go through clip by clip and replace them with the original master clips. Besides the fact that that is an incredibly inefficient use of time, it also seems like a recipe for something to get offset - there are a lot of time ramps and a lot of video layers.

So why is there no way to just make a nested clip redirect to its original master clip in the sequence? And more importantly, how often does anyone actually have a use for cutting with nested clips and then need or want to modify those clips in a separate timeline and have it effect every other timeline they may be cut into? I can certainly imagine SOME uses for that functionality, but not at the expense of making it virtually impossible to cut sequence-to-sequence in an efficient way. Any suggestions?

- eric wais.

http://www.ericwais.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Un-nesting clips in a sequence
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:29:04 pm

Double-clicking on the nest will open the original sequence, and the playhead will be exactly where it is in your cut sequence. Then just cut and paste the footage from the original footage to the main sequence.

In the future, map the option OVERWRITE WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT and INSERT WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT to the F9 and F10 keys. This will make FCP act exactly like Avid, and bring over the original clips, not a nest. Or you can press COMMAND and F10 and it will do the same thing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Wais
Re: Un-nesting clips in a sequence
on Jun 13, 2013 at 2:56:57 pm

I knew I had figured out a workaround to this a long time ago...Thanks for reminding me about the "with sequence content" setting.

THAT BEING SAID, I know that has worked for me in the past, but for some reason now it's not doing anything differently. I remapped the keys but when I go to cut from the original sequence it still inserts a nested clip. Now what am I doing wrong?

- eric wais.

http://www.ericwais.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]