FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picture hiccups in exported video file, when exporting while files are in external harddrive.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jens Fougn
Picture hiccups in exported video file, when exporting while files are in external harddrive.
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:50:51 am

Since the files take up almost 250GB in ProRes 422, I have kept all the video files and the project file on an external hard disc when I edit. This has made the play-back lagging. To save space I put down all the clips I needed at the timeline, and exported it to a large ProRes file to keep on the computers internal hard disc. From this file, I wanted to cut the rest of the movie without using the external hard drive.
- Has the problem anything to do with the movie being exported while files and the project is on the external hard drive?
- I did not render before I exported, can this have anything to do with the problem?
- Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Final Cut 7.0.3
Macbook Pro, 8 Gb RAM, 2,53 GHz
Western Digital - My Passport Hard Drive

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Picture hiccups in exported video file, when exporting while files are in external harddrive.
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:34:21 pm

Hi Jens

Generally speaking laggy video playback is often due to slow hard drives.
Putting media on the internal drive is not a good idea as they are usually 5400 RPM drives and struggle to playback video while running the OS etc. Unless you happen to have an internal SSD I would avoid this.
How is the Western Digital drive attached ? You need it to be Firewire 800 as a minimum. USB or Firewire 400 is going to choke with ProRes files. USB3 or Thunderbolt would be perfect too.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]