FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it practically possible to bridge PC and Mac with ProRes 422?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Johnson
Is it practically possible to bridge PC and Mac with ProRes 422?
on May 22, 2013 at 8:06:54 am

I’ve been wrestling with this conundrum for months:

Without using a command line ffmpeg transcoding workflow, it seems impossible to bridge a PC and a Mac editing system in ProRes 422 at the prosumer level. As far as I can see, no affordable prosumer software on the PC allows native transcoding into ProRes 422, neither Adobe Media Encoder, HD Video Converter or any other widely available encode/transcode program, unless one goes under the hood with ffmpeg transcoding—which seems to require an advanced computer science degree.

All I would like to do is run my PC as a transcoding engine—whalloping through my footage into ProRes 422—while I transfer over and edit the stuff in the calm and peace of FCP on the Mac.

Codec wars aside, is this, practically and in terms of video engineering, actually impossible to do?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Is it practically possible to bridge PC and Mac with ProRes 422?
on May 22, 2013 at 1:56:14 pm

Hi Andrew,

No, ProRes is not a practical workflow for PC. Yes, they play and edit fine, but no proper export method at this time. Have you considered using AVID DNxHD instead? Similar quality and file size as ProRes, should provide the cross-platform workflow you want.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnson
on May 22, 2013 at 2:00:16 pm

Yep, did this with an entire feature film project once to discover that FCP handles it about as well as it would do if it were trying to run video off bakelite discs.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on May 22, 2013 at 2:12:31 pm

Which version of FCP are you running and what are your system specs. YOu can, or at least used to, download the codecs from Avids site that will allow you to use the DNXHD files in FCP. It's been awhile but they used to play fine in FCP7

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnson
on May 22, 2013 at 2:15:17 pm

FCP 7.0.3, OS X 10.6.8, 3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, 500GB internal and 2TB external drive

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 22, 2013 at 3:29:15 pm

I've read of a PC application being able to export to PC (saw theyr web site), but I think is a bluff.
As far as I know, aside Macs, the only way to get Prores is on hardware (Cameras and external digital recorders).

The AVID codecs has been one of the method for interchanging footage from PC to Macs, but seems that there are big color/gamma issues on conversion.
I think the only way to avoid those issues would be using an application with proper color managing, like After Effects.
OK for converting a finished job, but no much practical if you have to convert footage.
rafael

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnson
on May 22, 2013 at 5:55:36 pm

It’s been said here a million times but it’s a ludicrous state of affairs that shames both sides of the ‘divide’. It’s absolutely mystifying to consider that this impasse has come about by design rather than by accident.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]