FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and capture problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Molloy
Log and capture problem
on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:15:51 pm

I'm trying to log and capture footage from DV tapes onto FCP7. I'm using a Panasonic HVX200 camera as a tape deck, the same that was used for filming the footage, Firewire400 cable.
The shooting format is 24p, on mini DV tapes, 480.

What should my project settings be, and what import settings/ sequence settings would be correct for this?

I've tried a couple of different options, but I always get loss of quality. I tried DV NTSC 48 kHz, which I thought is appropriate for this, since it is DV footage - in the preview window, the footage looks fine, but once I press "capture now", the footage gets a bit muddy-looking, and the aspect ratio is off in the captured clip, and the quality is more muddy than the footage looks before capturing.

Any tips will be very greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Log and capture problem
on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:01:56 am

Dear John

I assume your footage is 16x9 ? If so I would try an easy set-up using DV NTsC 24P (23.98).
If the aspect ratio is incorrect then in the browser just check the anamorphic flag which is a few columns to the right. Obviously if your footage is 4x3 you do not need to do this.
As its native DV you should not see any quality loss.

ps I am in PAL land but that setting would make the most sense to me.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]