FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 freezing up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Penner
FCP 6 freezing up
on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:29:22 pm

I am editing a dance recital with 3 camera video tracks. One of the tracks contains mp4 files from a GoPro, which has worked fine in the past. The other two tracks are ProRes files processed from AVCHD camera footage.

I can only edit for perhaps an hour at most (sometimes only minutes) before the spinning beach ball starts up, Force Quit Applications shows "not responding". Force Quit and restarting FCP does not work; the only way to get FCP going again is to restart the computer. Finder often starts "not responding" as well, though I can run Safari meanwhile. Every time I restart the computer, I have to hold down the power button because the iMac hangs up after the icons disappear.

I am using FCP 6 on a mid 2007 iMac with 2GB RAM, 55 GB of space left on the hard drive, with a Lacie 2TB external hard drive, and it has worked pretty well for me all this time. This is the first time I have NOT been able to deal with the problem, by:
* trashing preferences
* running Disk Utility to repair disks & permissions
* running Disk Warrior to rebuild directory and check all files

I have read through the forums and tried to follow various advice, but can't find anyone with this exact set of issues. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: FCP 6 freezing up
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:10:14 pm

Hi Kevin,

I would convert the GoPro footage into ProRes. FCP doesn't really like editing MP4 footage. Especially MP4 footage that's multi-cam with other footage.

Also, 2GB of RAM seems a little low...

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:50:08 pm

Yup.
Multicam needs all the stuff to have the same specs.
Beside that, the Mp4/AVCHD/H264 family is not supported by FC.
Convert that footage to the same settings of the Prores footage.
rafael

Return to posts index

Kevin Penner
on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:01:50 pm

I know the GoPro's MP4 video is not ideal for FCP, (and I know that more RAM would definitely speed things up) but I've used it (the exact same setup) for two previous dance recitals, and it's never caused problems like this. In this case, the camera was on the back wall of the stage and while I've got 1.5 hours of MP4 video from it, I'm only using a couple minutes of it, so thought I would only render those bits, rather than the whole thing. Because the rendered bits play back fine ...

I can understand if it would cause the spinning beach ball to show for a few seconds/minutes, but to have to restart the whole COMPUTER each time??? Sounds like something else if happening under the hood ...

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 13, 2013 at 1:55:21 am

You've been lucky before. MP4 is not an editing format for FCP 6. You should convert it to Pro Res. You may want to use mpeg streamclip to convert your video files to pro res

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]