FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor Quality Text in Motion-created Graphics in Prores Final Cut Sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Herzel
Poor Quality Text in Motion-created Graphics in Prores Final Cut Sequence
on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:55:00 pm

I feel certain this issue has been addressed before, but after hours of searching and trying various solutions mentioned in these forums I'm still stuck. No doubt I'm making a rookie mistake, but I'm hoping someone can point out exactly what it is...

I'm editing in a 1920x1080 ProRes 422 sequence at 29.97fps. My original footage was shot on a 7D and transcoded to Prores 422 using streamclip. I've created some text graphics in Motion with a project settings preset of XDCAM EX 1080p30, 1920x1080. As I understand it Motion presets doesn't actually use a codec when clips are brought into Final Cut, so as long as the frame rate and dimensions match your sequence you're ok, correct?

My issue is that my Motion graphics look pixelated both in the Final Cut canvas and equally bad after exporting. I've tried a number of export workflows with no success. I'm exporting with Prores 422 codecs at 1920x1080 (my primary use is going to be a high quality web video). I've also tried boosting the bit depth in Motion without any noticeable difference. Any ideas?

-Matt

Return to posts index

Matthew Herzel
Re: Poor Quality Text in Motion-created Graphics in Prores Final Cut Sequence
on Mar 27, 2013 at 8:34:56 pm

Never really figured out what the problem was, but I found a workaround. I tried exporting the Motion files as ProRes 4444 .mov files and then bringing them back into my Final Cut sequence. No loss of quality, and it rendered and exported out looking great. I thought Motion and Final Cut were supposed to play nice together? It's great that you can edit Motion projects on the fly and have them automatically update in your Final Cut sequence, but if this loss of quality is unavoidable I'd rather just export a .mov Motion file every time I make a change...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Poor Quality Text in Motion-created Graphics in Prores Final Cut Sequence
on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:21:55 am

[Matthew Herzel] "As I understand it Motion presets doesn't actually use a codec when clips are brought into Final Cut, so as long as the frame rate and dimensions match your sequence you're ok, correct?"
No really.
Motion uses the FCs settings when you "Send to Motion" from FC, but when you start a project in Motion, Motion uses his project settings.

- In the "Project Properties", set Render in 16 or 32b (Float)
- In the Export Window (Options), set Prores as the export codec.

Then export a self-contained movie and bring it to FC.

rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]