FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this audio fixable whatsoever? What precautions should be taken in the future?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Rouric
Is this audio fixable whatsoever? What precautions should be taken in the future?
on Mar 23, 2013 at 10:45:07 pm

So I have this client who recorded a live version of Thrift Shop. He asked if someone could fix the bass parts of the audio so he could use it. I volunteered, but asked to have a listen to the audio first, as there are some types of noise problems that just can't be fixed. I figured maybe if there was some bassy hum, maybe even a little distortion in the background, then I could take care of that.

I was not prepared for this.

http://picosong.com/nKzy/

So yeah, I don't know everything about audio engineering, but I could save something that's not like this maybe, but I'm pretty sure this is completely unsalvageable audio, right?

I feel bad for this guy and want to let him know what he should do in the future though, and I guess learn how to avoid this myself if I'm ever in that situation. It didn't sound to me like his levels were too high or anything, because the rappers sounded normal volume when the bass wasn't playing. Should he use...I dunno...a filter sock for microphones? He said this was recorded on his SLR cam, I'm pretty sure he didn't use any ext mic.

Only one solution I can think of for this is to overlay actual parts of the song in there, just enough to hear it but still keep the atmosphere. Maybe apply distortion to the song just a little.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Is this audio fixable whatsoever? What precautions should be taken in the future?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 9:12:50 pm

Distorted too much, the tiny mic was over-driven.

Your fix is to have the guy come to your edit suite and lip-synch a new audio track to a playback of the footage.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Is this audio fixable whatsoever? What precautions should be taken in the future?
on Mar 27, 2013 at 11:53:37 am

There's nothing you can do to fix this. This isn't a bass problem but a poorly recorded original. He should plug into the board and make sure that he's not peaking.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]