FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble Importing Footage from Canon Vixia HV40

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elise McDonough
Trouble Importing Footage from Canon Vixia HV40
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:11:31 am

I have read many forums and tried many suggested solutions to this problem with no success. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

MAC OS X 10.6.8
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

CANON Vixia HV40

Using a Firewire 800 9-Pin to 4-Pin cable

I connect the camera, turn it to Play (VCR mode) and start Final Cut. I get the message "Unable to locate the following external devices: HDV (1440 x 1080) 60i". Going to Log & Capture results in a message "Unable to Initialize Capture Device".

I have previously used this camera successfully and I am not sure what changed! I tried changing Easy Set Up and Audio/Video Settings; I have shut down computer, unplugged everything and restarted; I have attempted to use iMovie and that won't import the footage either. I am sure that the miniDV tape has HDV footage on it. I have unplugged the camera and adjusted the CANON menu settings as suggested here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/200/885972

In Final Cut > Easy Set Up, I have selected
Format: HDV
Rate: 29.97 fps

Additional Audio/Video Settings info is here as a screen grab.

If anyone can help with information about correct settings, whether it's the Firewire cord, or anything, I will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Trouble Importing Footage from Canon Vixia HV40
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55:51 pm

Elise,

I've found the HDV capture to be very flaky...

Trash prefs! Reboot.

Choose the default for HDV capture.

You said you were able to capture using that cable? Trying a different cable is a good idea, just to test. I usually use the 6pin Firewire cable for digitizing, so trying a different port might be a good test.

Trying playing the tape back from the camera and seeing if FCP see's the footage (not using FCP to playback). Make sure you see the footage from the camera before you try to digitize.

Good Luck,
Todd

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Elise McDonough
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:57:38 pm

I am still unable to import footage. I've been researching this on the internet for hours with no luck. I've been on the phone with Canon with no luck. I've been to Best Buy 3 or 4 times trying to get a different cable, to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help! I appreciate it, thanks.

Return to posts index

Jon Davidson
on May 5, 2013 at 5:03:58 am

I am currently experiencing the same grief with Canon's Vixia HV40.

When I follow the manual's sparse instructions, set up the menu as per pages 42 and 80 (making sure I have selected the DV option and not the "import from analog source" option, and connected the cables, noting happens. iMovie acts as if I have not connected the fiwire cable, no mater what I try. There is a whole online forum dedicated to Canon's Vixia not importing to the computer. Suggestions have ranged from plugging the cable in first, hitting play, then turning on iMovie, to going to Canon's website, looking up Canon HV40, then downloading any "drivers" you might need. I use a Mac with Lion OS, so it says "driver updates not needed"; however, no matter what I do, my computer ignores the connected Canon camera. I wrote an email of complaint to Canon, and I hope you do too.

Wish I could have helped more, but at least you're not alone. If you're using a PC instead of a Mac, downloading drivers for this camera from Canon's website might actually help. Good luck.

Digiguy

DigiGuy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]