FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting uncompressed video FCP 7 - make slightly smaller?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad DeCecco
Exporting uncompressed video FCP 7 - make slightly smaller?
on Mar 4, 2013 at 1:25:13 am

I have to send a 4 minute quicktime of a music video to send overseas. It's 5.1 Gb when i export a self-contained QT movie at current settings - I need it to be 4.5 Gb to fit on a DVD - how do I make it slightly smaller without compromising image quality? A simple way to export slightly smaller? It is a 4 minute file which is full HD and exports uncompressed at 5.1 Gb. Any suggestions appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Exporting uncompressed video FCP 7 - make slightly smaller?
on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:27:38 am

Your best option is to convert to Prores HQ.
That, or to get a dual-layer disk.
rafael

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:31:08 am

Sorry, I really need a dumbed-down version - how do I do that? Copy and paste into a new timeline in FCP? Or export a QT and convert in compressor? I'm just totally confused, and sorry to bug you about this, I know it seems basic to you guys, but I haven't had to FTP something so big before and I don't know how to fine-tune the file size so precisely. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:34:44 am

You can "fine tune" the file size when you are using scalar codecs where you set data-rate, GOPs length and key-frames (you trade file-size by quality), but you can't do the same with production codec that are Intraframe and have a fix data rate.
Your only solution is to use a more compressed codec and the best option when dealing with 10b Uncompressed footage is to convert to Prores. You will reduce the file size to a fraction of the original without compromising the quality.

On FC, drop your Uncompressed movie on a new sequence, and conform the sequence to the movie settings.
Change the sequence codec to Prores HQ and make sure that in the "Video Processing" tab, is checked "Render in High Precision YUV".
Rafael

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:04:32 pm

This assumes his customer can deal with a pro-res file. What did the customer specify for the format?

Single-layer DVD's are 4.7 gig max in size. You can get more capacity out of a dual-layer blank disk, and DVDSP can burn that for you, or you could adjust the level of compression in DVDSP to cram more playing time onto the single-layer DVD. Home DVD recording machines can put up to 8 hours on one single-side DVD. You wouldn't like the quality, but in their 4-hour mode it's not that bad.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]