FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Compressor 4 writing to main HDD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lambert
Apple Compressor 4 writing to main HDD
on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:06:02 am

Hi everyone

I am currently attempting to export a 40min 30gig Pro Res file into a h264 for web distribution in Apple compressor but no matter what I seem to try Compressor seems to be writing huge amounts of data to my main OS drive.

I currently have 2 drives in my MBP a solid state running my OS and App's and a 500gb internal drive for media. The Pro Res file is currently situated on 500gb HDD currently I am exporting from this to a 45mbps SD card as I figured it may have a slight speed increase if each drive had an alloted function eg. read/write. However Compressor is using a HUGE portion of my HDD to do it's work (I am down about 20gig in the time I have typed this so far!) And am maybe 10% complete on the Compressor bar.

What is causing this? I have been having a ton of trouble with Q master recently to the point I have completly abandoned it as it is quite frankly the worst piece of programming I have ever seen apple use and I have had a few occurences where it has glitched out without compressor being open and just written too the hdd to the point I go from 90gig free on SSD to 7gig. Obviously being my OS drive this is not ideal at all!

What can I do too prevent this?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Apple Compressor 4 writing to main HDD
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:33:01 pm

[Chris Lambert] "I am exporting from this to a 45mbps SD card as I figured it may have a slight speed increase"
Very bad choice, Chris.
The card should be fast enough to write H264 with a lower data rate than 45mbps, but that's even lower than the transfer speed of a crappy USB-2 or and old fashioned FW-400, which transfer speed is 400Mbps.
And even if the transfer rate of your SD card could be OK, you incur in another issue; SD cards normally are formatted as FAT-32. This format has a file size limit of 4GB, so any file bigger than 4 Gbs needs to be chopped.

Normally, the best policy is to use external HDs for media and for exports, that way the System HD is less burdened, but you have a very fast SSD drive which allows you to export to your main HD without slowing down any process.
So, get rid of the SD card, and export to your finder or wherever you want on your SSD HD.
rafael

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Apple Compressor 4 writing to main HDD
on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:04:26 pm

I assume you have the destination for the Job set to your media drive? I like the default destination set as same as source.

If you open Compressor, with nothing currently processing, and click "clear" in the history window, do all the items dissapear? Or are some left? If some are left, try going to Compressor> Reset Background Processes> and choose "reset and cancel all". Maybe check out Compressor Repair and Preference Manager from digital rebellion as well.

FWIW I've run the same general setup of MBP w/SSD (OS and Apps only) & 500GB (Media drive) internal drives, using Compressor with job actions to encode and burn Blu-ray and DVDs successfully for quite awhile... So, at least we know its possible. What are your system specs and OS/App versions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]