FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for Blu-ray creation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Boffa
Best workflow for Blu-ray creation
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:38:29 pm

So my question is... what's the best workflow to get my HDV footage on mini-DV tapes to a Blu-Ray disc?

I did try researching this but didn't find exact topics, so hopefully someone can help out on this.
Simple situation, working with my Power Mac G5 2.5GHz quad-core, 4gb ram, bought Dec 2005, and capturing my home footage shot on mini-DV camcorder in 1080i60 1920x1080 format. I'm looking to burn this footage to blu-ray disc.
I bought an LG external BD burner and Toast 10 (I'm pre-intel so no 11).
After capturing via FCP (version 5.1.4) to this same HDV setting, I add as much footage as Toast will permit to a BD project file and click "Burn". After 5 days of encoding (no joke), it gives me this "Mac OS Error Code 1852402768" message which I google the heck out of, and read somewhere that you can ignore it and the encoded files should be there, and they were. I then had Toast burn these encoded files to BD and when it gets to 78% is just says could not burn this disc. I eventually got it to work after deleting footage down to 16GB, so still kinda bummed couldn't get full 24GB on it.

Should I capture to a different setting to speed up encoding and to permit more on to the BD?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Best workflow for Blu-ray creation
on Feb 9, 2013 at 11:48:03 pm

Are you putting the captured HDV clips right into Toast? Instead, try putting your captured clips on the FCP timeline, edit as necessary (trim the beginning and end of each clip and add chapter markers if you want), then export a self-contained Prores. Bring that Prores clip into toast to burn.

Yes, encoding files for Blu-ray takes a long time, and I'm not sure if Toast does the best job or not. I use Matrox MAX for H.264 encoding at real time speeds in Compressor, a lifesaver if you burn a lot of 1-2 hour Blu-rays.

Disclaimer-
I am not familiar with pre-Intel Macs or FCP versions before Final Cut Studio 2.

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
Re: Best workflow for Blu-ray creation
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:46:16 am

I'm doing a similar work around to get to your hopeful product. My BluRay's are 2 to 2 1/2 hours. In a nut shell. I put everything in a Prores 422 timeline, when editing is complete, send it off to Compressor using the HD DVD setting fitting up to 30 minutes on a DVD 5 preset. Grab a Dolby Digital 2.0 audio preset and drag both into the control box. I have to play around with the Inspector to get the GB's just right. You can't run it right up to 24GB like you indicated. You need to leave some room to get everything on the disc. 21GB is pretty safe. I don't think it compensates for menu's and any extra's. Go up to "Target" and place your destination and hit submit and let it cook. I have an out of the box 27 iMac and it takes a good 10 hours. Once done, grab those assets and pull it into Toast. Drop it onto "Blu-ray video". Make sure you deselect encoding. Don't bother making a nice menu. You won't succeed. You can however grab a photo and make a menu start page. Remember to select your external drive as it will default to your internal. Cook that bad boy. Mine look and play fantastic.

I see you have an older version of FCP. Mine is the FCP 3 Suite. I think my version is FCP 7 within that suite. I can't tell you if yours has the same features or not.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]