FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Corrector Cutting Frames

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mort Johnson
Color Corrector Cutting Frames
on Feb 7, 2013 at 7:41:51 pm

I'm still fairly new to Final Cut, and after applying color correction (both the stand alone and 3-way) to a clip featuring a fast pan up (which has been sped up in FC) several frames get removed from the shot, resulting in a jarring jump cut. Is there anyway to fix this and still keep the changed speed and color correction?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Color Corrector Cutting Frames
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:28:22 pm

Hi Mort

Can I ask what is the codec of the footage you are editing ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Mort Johnson
on Feb 7, 2013 at 9:26:15 pm

.MOV from an HD DV. It was filmed on a friend's camera so I'm not 100% on the export settings or anything like that.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:19:14 pm

Hi Mort

.mov is a container rather than a codec, my reason for asking is that the behaviour you describe is often to be found when people try to edit
H264 files in FCP. FCP prefers files to be ProRes however native DV files are OK if thats what you have.
You can check by either opening one of the files in Quicktime and clicking on "Show Movie Inspector" or in FCP if you look at the browser and move along until you see the column "compressor" That will tell you what type of .mov you have.
If they are H264 then thats the likely cause, if not let us know what they are and maybe can suggest further.

Thanks

best wishes
Neil

i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Mort Johnson
on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:33:10 am

Following your instructions tells me it's called Sorenson Video 3, which I'm still unfamiliar with.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:52:14 pm

Hi Mort

OK so the codec used to create these files is Sorensen video 3. To be honest thats not one I have ever used with FCP or Avid come to that.
I am pretty sure its not an ideal codec to work with in FCP. FCP really likes ProRes files, with a few exceptions anything else gives it hassle one way or another.
I am willing to bet that Sorensen Video 3 files is the root of your issue.
Do you have tons of footage ? Is it practical to transcode your source to ProRes 422 ? It will likely take up more drive space but thats normal. Alternatively you need to start a ProRes sequence of the correct size and frame rate and cut and paste your current edit into the new sequence. It will need to be rendered but the odd frames and flashes etc will go away.

Generally its best to transcode your source to ProRes before you start to edit and then you will get a much smoother ride.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]