FORUMS: list search recent posts

External monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Ego
External monitor
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:34:30 pm

Hi

I’m looking for guidance in buying an external monitor for my Macbook Pro (2009). What are the main things I should think about? Should I go with a TV or a computer monitor? What should I get if I don’t want to spend more then around 300$? And why do alot of people recommend buying like a Matrox?!

As you can see I'm all lost, please someone give me a little bit of advice. And I'm sorry for a messy post.

/ Max

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: External monitor
on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:14:09 am

If you are looking for just a second monitor to work more comfortable with your MBP, any good computer monitor will be fine.
I don't recommend you a TV because TVs has less definition than computer screens.
If you are looking for a monitor for Color Grading, then you will need a pro monitor and that can only be plugged to your mac by mean of an IO card. like a Matrox, AJA or BlackMagic.
So if what you are looking for is just more space, get your self a computer monitor.
I think the Dell-U24 still being the best choice.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Max Ego
on Feb 6, 2013 at 8:56:10 am

Hi Rafael and thank you for your quick answer.

Perfect then the TV is out of the way. Like I wrote, I was initially looking for just a screen to expand my work area. But I do been doing more and more color grading so maybe I should make more of an investment. Cause I ultimately want to set up a very basic postproduction studio/area at home. What are your thoughts on this? What is really essential equipment I need like for sound, image and so on. Cause the only thing I have right now is the computer with software. Once again thank you so much for the help.

Also the Dell-U24 is this one right.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?cs=19&c=us&l=en&sku=3...

/ Max

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 8, 2013 at 4:12:37 pm

[Max]
Perfect then the TV is out of the way. Like I wrote, I was initially looking for just a screen to expand my work area. But I do been doing more and more color grading so maybe I should make more of an investment. Cause I ultimately want to set up a very basic postproduction studio/area at home. What are your thoughts on this?

I hope this will be of help: Consumer Video Monitors Versus Broadcast Monitors

In most cases, when you want to simply monitor your video signal as it will look to the
audience, any standard NTSC or PAL video monitor is appropriate, and there are many
inexpensive models to choose from. When performing critical tasks such as color
correction, however, you should use a high-resolution broadcast monitor that can be
properly calibrated to display your signal consistently and accurately.

Broadcast monitors offer manual control over every aspect of the video signal being
displayed, including brightness, chroma, phase, and contrast. Additionally, broadcast
monitors can often display different parts of the signal using modes such as blue only
(only the blue gun traces the screen; the green and red guns are turned off ), underscan,
and H/V delay. Without these controls to accurately calibrate your broadcast monitor’s
display with the signal being output from your computer, you run the risk of making
bad color correction decisions based on an inaccurate view of your program’s picture.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Max Ego
on Feb 9, 2013 at 10:04:33 am

Thank you very much for the explanation, very well described. Then I will start of with a simple monitor, either U2410 or U2412M. Anyone you would recommend more then the other?

/Max

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]