FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem Setting Up Scratch Disk with FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Schotland
Problem Setting Up Scratch Disk with FCP 7
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:40:44 pm

Hello,

I just created a new external scratch disk (rather than the Mac hard disk) with more storage capacity than another external scratch disk I had been using until now. The problem I am experiencing is in transferring the FCP video files to the new scratch disk.

This is the procedure I have been using: 1. Open a new Project (A) on the new scratch disk, select the project name and 'Save As". 2. Click on System Settings and Click Set (as per standard procedure). 3. Cut and paste the files from the old scratch disk over to the new one (placing the files in the same places as they were on the old scratch disk. 4. Click Save Project.

I repeated this procedure by transferring another Project (B) to the new scratch disk, (repeating steps 1 through 4), assigning System Settings for Project B. Now here is the where I encounter the problem. When I return to Project A and review its System Settings, they now are the same as the latest ones I had just set for Project B.

Can you please tell me what I am doing incorrectly? Could it be that the procedure I am following in transferring a project from one scratch disk to another is incorrect?

Any suggestions for circumventing this problem would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

ronschotland@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Problem Setting Up Scratch Disk with FCP 7
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:15:09 am

I think you don't have much clear the concept of Scratch Disk.
The Scratch Disk is where FC writes certain stuff (including captures and Log&transfer) files, but is not necessarily your "media HD".
[Ron Schotland] " When I return to Project A and review its System Settings, they now are the same as the latest ones I had just set for Project B. "

The Scratch Disk is not associated with any particular projects. Is the one that the application use.
When you change the scratch disk you set the disc which FC will use from that moment and whatever project you open, old or new, will use that Scratch disk till you set a new one.
If you want to move media from one disk to another, just drag and drop the folders where your media resides trying to keep the same folders structure.
Once you have transferred the media, if you want a project to use the media on the new HD, switch off the old HD, open the project and use the emerging window to reconnect the media files. Once FC has retrieved the files, save the project. so FC won't look again for these files on the old HD.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ron Schotland
Re: Problem Setting Up Scratch Disk with FCP 7
on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:09:00 am

Rafael,

Thanks for setting me straight on the scratch disk concept. This is
something I should have learned long before this. Now everything is starting to make more sense.

Appreciate you help.

Ron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]