FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loss of color- faces and some background go white after making DVD from DVD SP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Manor
Loss of color- faces and some background go white after making DVD from DVD SP
on Dec 20, 2012 at 8:59:14 am

I am working on a video which has a lot of converted footage (digitized) from old film. I think it was 8 mm but not sure because client had it digitized before giving it to me. The footage wasn't great to start with, but I gave my best magic, with some basic color correction, lightening or darkening as needed and a little bit of the "Sharpen" filter. When it was ready to be exported, compressed and sent through DVD SP, it looked OK. Adequate. With the old film look, the colors were fair, skin tones mostly good, and I'd reduced the excessive coloration from the old film.

So here's my problem. Like I said in FCP and DVD SP, the finished video looks fine. After burning the DVD, I played it in the Mac with its display, and it looks the same - fine. However, when I play it on my flat screen TV, I get significant loss of color. Skin tone is gone, faces are white and blown out as are many of the backgrounds. Almost as if I'd taken my Whites in Color Correction and run them to the top. Again, it's only when playing the DVD on the TV that this occurs. But on a TV screen is where client wants to use it. I'm doing everything else the same as I always have in my editing process - and previous projects have always played very well on the TV.

Does anyone have any ideas or see what I might be doing wrong or missing? I'm at a loss.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 memory
OS X 10.6.8
FCP Studio with FCP 6.0.6
DVD SP 4.2.1
Compression Bit Vice 2.9.8
Sony BluRay Player
Westinghouse 42in Flat Screen

Mike Manor
Midnite Mouse Productions

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Loss of color- faces and some background go white after making DVD from DVD SP
on Dec 20, 2012 at 3:15:46 pm

Those are the problems of not using an external pro monitor.
You can not know which is wrong, your Mac or the TV.
Probably both.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: Loss of color- faces and some background go white after making DVD from DVD SP
on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:30:16 pm

When you do the transcoding in BitVice, do you have 'Use Studio RGB' selected?

Return to posts index

Mike Manor
on Dec 20, 2012 at 11:30:02 pm

Thank you Gary. The answer is no, when transcoding in BitVice, 'Use Studio RGB' is not selected. I can't remember if I've ever checked that option. What do you recommend?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 21, 2012 at 2:31:24 am

Make sure that you have the default Color and Matrix for the footage you are using, and "Gamm 2.2" is checked on.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:24:58 pm

I use Media 100 as my weapon of choice. In older versions (pre Intel) the export out of Media 100 into BitVice required selecting 'Use Studio RGB' otherwise the transcode would result in crushed blacks and lower overall luminance. This is not what you are getting though, so no need to explore that any further. If this problem is unique to this project (you said previous results were fine and you've not changed your workflow) then I'm not sure what else to suggest - other than playing the disc in a different player/TV set-up to see if that makes a difference. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]