FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion tab /"Ken Burns" /ease in-out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom McAfee
motion tab /"Ken Burns" /ease in-out
on Dec 17, 2012 at 2:26:38 am

Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting mu pans and zooms on photos to "ease in & out" with the motion tab. After I set the key frames, I followed the steps outlined in a Larry Jordan tutorial (at least I think I did) -- I control (right) clicked the green end points on the canvas which indicate the move from point A to point B; a menu popped up giving two choices, either "ease in/out", or "linear"; I chose "ease in/out" and touch nothing else, and this has yielded weird results, with the move going off course, going to the end point then backing up, bumps, hiccups, etc. I have tried to figure out which "handles" to move, but they're almost impossible to see and I can't seem to get them to work. I'm just looking for a "soft takeoff and landing" on the moves -- this should be simple, right?

I'll appreciate any advice and guidance.

Thanks,

Tom McAfee

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: motion tab /"Ken Burns" /ease in-out
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:00:09 pm

FCP does a terrible job of easing in and out. Do it in Motion or AE, much better outcome and it will be faster as well. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tom McAfee
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:43:01 pm

Steve, thanks. Unfortunately I've never used Motion or AE, so I'll check out your video as a place to start. Meanwhile, I'm looking into a free plug-in "Pan and Zoom" by FxFactory, looks promising.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:46:48 pm

I've never used that plug-in but I think it sounds like a great idea. Take a look at this tutorial I did, I think you will enjoy it: http://library.creativecow.net/smith_stephen/Apple-Motion_Kinetic-Typograph...

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tom McAfee
on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:02:22 pm

Thanks I'll take a look.
Meanwhile, the plug-in is made by Noise industries, and here's a demo:

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:26:53 pm

Try creating then immediately deleting a keyframe one frame away from the troublesome keyframes. Repeat the create/delete keyframe 3-5 times, If the trick is working you'll notice the image shift slightly each time you delete the keyframe (even though it "shouldn't" move at all). Continue the create/delete process until the image stops shifting.

I learned that trick from a post here on the COW, for fixing wonky behavior with linear interpolation but it might work for fixing your ease in/out as well, I don't know.

Return to posts index

Tom McAfee
on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:47:04 pm

David, thanks . . . that sounds rather complex and time consuming. In the meantime I've discovered a free plug-in -- Pan and Zoom by Noise Industries -- that may do the trick once I get it figured out.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:28:40 am

Indeed it would be very time consuming to do to every pictures keyframes. I'm wondering if your problem is related to the bug with linear keyframes, which I'm surprised is still a problem (though I haven't updated to 10.0.7 yet, a bug fix release).

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:31:39 am

I'm sorry, just realized we're not in the FCPX forum and your using Legacy. Everything I've said is completely irrelevant.

Return to posts index

Tom McAfee
on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:35:00 am

Oh my . . . "legacy" is how they describe FCP7 these days? I'm just getting the hang of it!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:53:50 am

Haha, yeah. Legacy, or some call it legend. Either way, seems like a good fit to me. I think of it more as pre-FCPX, rather than FCP 7 specifically... and find it somewhat endearing of the software.

Not that the term or being EOL'd and replaced makes the software any less capable than it has been for years.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:43:27 pm

Also, by the way, Premiere Pro does a great job of moving photos as well.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]