FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rookie mistake - editing with wrong framerate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukas Kasimir
Rookie mistake - editing with wrong framerate
on Nov 6, 2012 at 8:52:34 pm

Hi all.

I have been editing a short film in FCP 7 and everything was going splendid until i discovered that the editing timebase of the sequence is 23.98 fps.
All the footage is Prores 422 (HQ) at 25fps and the final product is also supposed to be at 25fps.

I made a new sequence with the right settings and copy&pasted the whole timeline into it. Then I removed the attributes of the clips as suggested in another thread.

Now Everything looks alright (as in frame size etc., but the in and out points of every clip is different and the sound is out of sync (of course).

It is an action film and there are hundreds of cuts and quite a lot of key framing to do with shot composition and effects. Also a lot of different sound effects and key-framed audio filters.

How can I avoid having to do all the work again?

If not - how bad is it that I'm using 23.98fps? where could problems occur is I get this film graded, give the edit to the sound designer and add VFX shots? Do I just have to tell everyone involved to work in the same timebase?

Thank you in advance.

Lukas

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Rookie mistake - editing with wrong framerate
on Nov 9, 2012 at 3:43:47 am

Sadly its not as easy as just telling everyone that its 23.98. It also depends what the delivery requirements are for your master. Going from an erroneous 23.98 sequence back to 25 is going to be a mess. Your 25 frame footage will almost certainly have some nasty motion artefacts from being at the wrong timebase in any event. Audio is at the wrong speed - its a pretty big problem really.
As you have seen all the edit points are incorrect and there is no easy way of getting that right other than manually fixing each shot and re-timing the audio to fit the correct frame rate.
I think it would be incredibly risky to try just to patch up the film and leave it at 23.98 - the chances of that not coming back to bite you in a huge way are pretty much nil I think.

I can only say best of luck its going to be a pain to fix but there is no easy solution to that one.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]