FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nooby question: New to FCP editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giannakis Omirous
Nooby question: New to FCP editing
on Nov 2, 2012 at 9:36:30 pm

I used to do all my editing to Adobe Premier so excuse my ingorance on this subject.
Whats the apparent reason for converting my DSLR footage to prores codec since the native DSLR codec doesnt seem to have any problems within FCP?
Is it for an easier grading later on with Color?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Nooby question: New to FCP editing
on Nov 2, 2012 at 9:43:27 pm

The native codec indeed does have problems in FCP. FCP7 at least, FCP x is a different deal. But in FCP 7, you don't want to use h.264 as the editing codec.

Return to posts index

Giannakis Omirous
on Nov 2, 2012 at 9:46:32 pm

OOwww.. Didn't notice any problems so far. Guess i haven't been on it for a long time to find them out. Thank you for your input. Is it normal that the conversion to proress creates double the size of the original file?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 2, 2012 at 9:56:38 pm

Yes. H.264 is a delivery codec: you watch a finished program using it. It was designed to cram a lot of image detail in a small bandwidth footprint, and part of how it is able to do that is it throws away certain frames, leaving behind some code for re-contructing the "missing" data. But that structure does not work well in the editing environment because the computer has to do massive processing to re-create the actual individual frames for editing, in real time, and the computational overhead is just very taxing.

Return to posts index

Giannakis Omirous
on Nov 2, 2012 at 10:00:09 pm

Thanks that was very helpfull. So with a propress conversion you just decompress those hidden frames and pixels (an ideal RAW footage) and recompress them in a more editing efficient codec. Makes sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]