FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed frame rate and aspect ratio footage in FCP Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dianne Le
Mixed frame rate and aspect ratio footage in FCP Timeline
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:46:11 am

Hi all

This is my first time to use Final Cut Pro for a uni assessment. I have watched several videos about basic editing and I understand the Timeline sequence needs to be the same settings as the footage being imported before even editing.

I have two batch of footage as follows from two different DLSRs:
1. 1920x1080 with 25fps
2. 1280 x 720 with 59.94fps

So now if I create a timeline with either settings I cannot use the other footage. For example, if I create a 1920x1080 with 25fps timeline I can't use the 1280 x 720 with 59.94fps. When I do import the second footage in, it will come up with a red line above it. I tried rendering it but nothing happens. The red line doesn't disappear. No message appears saying "rendering" or any sign like that.

I've tried using Compressor to reduce the 1280 x 720 with 59.94fps to the same as the other footage but it just made it slow-motion, something I didn't want. Same story with increasing the 25f to 59.94f, it made it faster.

In addition, as this is a uni assessment, I already have certain requirements when exporting such as the aspect ratio and must use the codec H.264. Thankfully all the footage are already in H.264 codec.

I'm assuming even if I used another editing program, I would still have the same problem. So now I'm stuck =\ Someone please help !

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Mixed frame rate and aspect ratio footage in FCP Timeline
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:10:22 am

[Dianne Le] " I tried rendering it but nothing happens. The red line doesn't disappear. No message appears saying "rendering" or any sign like that. "
"Cmd-R" won't work. Try "Alt-R".

[Dianne Le] "I've tried using Compressor to reduce the 1280 x 720 with 59.94fps to the same as the other footage but it just made it slow-motion, something I didn't want. Same story with increasing the 25f to 59.94f, it made it faster. "
In Compressor, you need to set "Frame Control ON". Try with "Rate Conversion: Fast".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 2, 2012 at 7:24:50 pm

One other thing to consider is that although you need H264 for your final output you will have problems if you edit with the H264 footage from the cameras without first transcoding to ProRes.
Transcode the camera footage to ProRes LT before you start your edit. Otherwise you will almost certainly have problems trying to edit that in FCP7.
There are many posts here with tails of woe from people who try to edit the H264 files directly.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 3, 2012 at 1:12:28 am

Yes. I forgot to add what Neil said. Convert all your stuff to Prores and export a master with that codec. Then convert to h264 for delivery.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]