FORUMS: list search recent posts

Action safe for all monitors?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
heidi schrodinger
Action safe for all monitors?
on Oct 9, 2012 at 11:26:37 pm

Hello again!

I have finished a 30 min short film and am about to export and burn to disc.
When I was at the sound mixer ( which was a waste of time and money as FCPX does NOT support an export of OMF files for use in Pro tools..... if I had known this I would not have bought and used FCPX- how ridiculous )...anyway, when I was at the sound guys studio, I noticed that my quicktime movie for reference was showing ALL the image on the monitor.
So the edges of the video- under still photos, etc, were still showing up where I thought the outside of the viewing area should be.

Is there something I should be doing on or before output to make sure this doesn't happen?

It is a PAL SD project and I will be exporting with Pro Res 422.

Thanks,
Heidi

'Getting back into making after a long time off'

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Action safe for all monitors?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 1:56:31 pm

This isn't related to your question per say but in regards to FCPX to Pro Tools, there is a tutorial on Lynda that is just for that. I know it's too late for your current project, but maybe in the future it will help.

http://www.lynda.com/Final-Cut-Pro-tutorials/Audio-Post-Workflow-Final-Cut-...

Return to posts index

heidi schrodinger
on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:07:24 am

ooh, thanks for that... will be used in the future no doubt. I was so surprised at this failure by FCPX....really unprofessional. no that I am a professional ;)
as for my other question, I realise now I have misunderstood what action safe actually means. So I had to resize a bunch of images..but no worries, it's done now, film looks great ( and sounds crappy )

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:35:25 am

If you can see it in the Canvas, no doubt someone will see it on their TV/monitor. You need to assume that they can see that...because they might be watching a QT file on a computer which shows you EVERYTHING. The TV safe guides are for...well...TVs. And OLD ones too. Tube TVs where there was a lot of plastic overlapping to hold that tube in. Later TVs...HDTVs...have a lot less holding that back, so you can see more of the picture.

I always play it safe, assume people can see everything I see in the canvas. The Safe guides are areas that are GUARANTEED to be seen.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

heidi schrodinger
on Oct 11, 2012 at 2:57:25 am

ThanksShane... this explains it well... I thought it the other way- that action outside would not be seen! Thanks so much,
Heidi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]