FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D MK III Log & Transfer Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Neira
Canon 5D MK III Log & Transfer Issue
on Sep 12, 2012 at 5:23:02 am

Hello all,
Trying to load some footage into FCP 7, and its on the latest update. I have the latest version for the canon final cut plugin, and im shooting at 1080/24 ALL & IBP. When viewing footage through MOV file on the CF card, it plays fine. After import though, it becomes very glitchy, and very visible scratches are seen. Any suggestions or insight?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Canon 5D MK III Log & Transfer Issue
on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:11:14 am

[Johnny Neira] "After import though, it becomes very glitchy, and very visible scratches are seen."
After Prores conversion?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:36:44 pm

The 5D MkIII came out after the last FCP 7 update. And it changed things a little bit in how it records H.264. And because FCP 7 is no longer being made, Canon isn't making any more Log and Transfer plugins for it. SO the old one, not designed for the Mark III...can't do things right.

You can't use Log and Transfer for this camera. YOu have to use Magic Bullet Grinder, Compressor or MPEG Streamclip. Sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tucker Starr
on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:40:49 am

I'm not sure that's correct, Shane. There is an update to the Log and Transfer on the Canon 5DMKIII Drivers and Software Page for the EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro 1.3 (basically the third version of this plugin), which purports to be for "Final Cut Pro Ver7.0.3 and later" It was released back in April.

Now that said, we're running into a problem with our install of this plugin where Log and Transfer will mount the card (albeit extremely slowly - takes around a minute or two), but will only process the 720P 59.94 clips.

On the 1080p 23.976 clips, it will act like it is processing the footage, but when it's done, the footage then does not appear in the project bin, nor does the transcoded media get written to the Capture Scratch. 1080p 23.976 clips will also displays a half-filled circle on the leftmost "Media Map" column, whereas the 720P 59.94 clips display a fully-filled circle.

Footage shot on the 5DMKII works fine either way, both 720P and 1080p footage processes correctly. It's just a problem with the MKIII stuff.

Anyone else seen this issue or have any insight?

Return to posts index

Jon Grimson
on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:15:54 pm

This issue still baffles me to. I've found that changing timecode mode in camera from "freerun" to "recrun" makes it work. However I noticed on my last l&t of footage that the EOS utlity just seemed to randomly skip clips; as in they never showed up in the transfer list. So something squirley is still there. I think the EOS utility is buggy and not working correctly in FCP7. Also, I'd much prefer "freerun" timecode.

Return to posts index

Fred Soffa
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:35:50 am

I have exactly this same problem right now. I was doing MPEG streamclip, but that tossed the timecode etc, so I installed the canon mark iii plug in. The Transfer window comes up fine, and it sort of processes the file, but it never shows up in the Capture Scratch folder. And the completion circle is only half a moon.

Did you ever solve your problem? Can't believe that Canon and FCP can't work together, how hard can it be?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]