FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to put HD to DVCAM with no luck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Burgess
Trying to put HD to DVCAM with no luck
on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:59:19 pm

My studio recently got a Canon 60D and I shot a project on it at 24p. To shoot 24p on the Canon it must be in HD at 1920x1080. I have edited and finished the project. I burned it to DVD for the client to preview and OK.

The client has okayed it and I now need to send it out for close captioning. The company that does the CC needs it on DVCAM. That was not a problem for all my other projects as they were regular DV. With this new project I have run into issues of putting the project out to tape. The audio comes through all right but the video is just a frozen frame.

I'm running my Mac Pro via firewire to an Aja I/O which is connected to my Sony DVCAM deck.

Can someone help me, please?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to put HD to DVCAM with no luck
on Aug 27, 2012 at 6:41:35 pm

The AJA IO only does SD, from what I recall. The IOHD does HD So you need to be exporting from an SD sequence. And the other issue is 23.98fps to 29.97. Since the IO only does SD, does it add pulldown to the 23.98? I think it does...but that's something you have to tell it to do.

So you might have to put this into an SD 23.98 sequence, then export, adding pulldown to 29.97. As DVCAM doesn't do 23.98.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:47:25 am

[Shane Ross] "..And the other issue is 23.98fps to 29.97. Since the IO only does SD, does it add pulldown to the 23.98?"
Sure. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to monitor on any standard NTSC device.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jay Burgess
on Aug 28, 2012 at 3:40:56 pm

OK. I've got it in an SD sequence. How do I do the pulldown in order to put it out to DVCAM tape?

Return to posts index

Jay Burgess
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:06:00 pm

Hello?

Anybody here? Can someone tell me how to do the pulldown from 24p so I can spit this out onto DVCAM?

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:17:37 pm

Shane already told you. Drop your HD sequence into a SD sequence.

I would recommend just using a SD sequence at 29.97 and master to DVCAM. But it may not look the best as it would if you render through Compressor with the Frame Controls, but should be good enough for CC people.

Todd

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:18:30 pm

You do this in the AJA Control Panel. In the VIDEO OUT, you choose the frame rate you want to output to. The Frame BUffer will be on 23.98, then output to 29.97. Pulldown will be added.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jay Burgess
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:20:06 pm

Thanks Shane. I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

Jay Burgess
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:08:49 pm

I've looked at the Aja control panel and under format the only thing I can choose is output to 25 or 29.97. Unless I've misunderstood (highly likely) or have done something wrong, I'm guessing that the Aja can't ingest the 24p because it doesn't seem to be doing the pulldown (It's an older Aja ProIO;not the newer HD). I can hear the audio come through just fine but the image is just one frozen frame.

I may just be screwed unless I can come up with another work around. I guess shame on me for not thinking this process through all the way.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:11:22 am

Are you not monitoring on ant external device (monitor or TV) attached to the AJA?
Have a look to View > Video Playback.
you should have an 23,98fps option. That's the one you have to use there.
Then the card will add the pulldown.

[Jay Burgess] "at the Aja control panel and under format the only thing I can choose is output to 25 or 29.97. "
That's correct.
The standar NTSC is always 29,97fps (Interlaced).
Therefor the need to add the Pulldown to pack the 24p (23,98) in a 29,97fps signal.

You see, when you play a Hollywood film DVD (p23,98fps), the DVD player adds the pulldown on the fly, so the TV set will get an standard NTSC signal (i29,97fps).
If the DVD player wouldn't add the pull down, average NTSC TV sets couldn't play the movie.
In your case the AJA will do the same.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]