FORUMS: list search recent posts

Max clip size FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rebecca Jabi
Max clip size FCP7
on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:35:18 pm

Is there a maximum clip size that is optimal for editing 1080i24p footage converted to ProRes 422 (shot with the HVX 200 and AF100). Im editing on a Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with FCP7. Im storing my media on a minisas GTech G-Speed eS PRO hard drive.

Also, is it possible to mix ProRes 422 and ProRes 422HQ material on the same sequence?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Max clip size FCP7
on Aug 22, 2012 at 6:28:19 am

Well, I have had clips up to an hour long...most are under though, between 5 and 40 min. How long is long to you?

[Rebecca Jabi] "is it possible to mix ProRes 422 and ProRes 422HQ material on the same sequence?"

Absolutely. One will conform the sequence to it's settings, and then you'll have to render the other...eventually. You can totally mix them without needing to render. You'll get a green render bar and that means full real time (without matching the settings exactly)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rebecca Jabi
on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:22:52 pm

Thank you for your helpful response. I am used to keeping my clip file sizes to around 1GB each when editing SD material with Firewire drives and assumed there was a similar optimal file size limit with minisas drives. What I'm understanding from your response is that you haven't experienced any problems with HD material that is up to an hour long. I assume then that I should be ok if I'm working with clip file sizes up to around 10GB with my set up?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:29:20 pm

You should be just fine, I constantly work with hour long 1920x1080 Prores clips. File sizes well over your 10GB average, no problem.

Return to posts index

Rebecca Jabi
on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:32:14 pm

Great. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:26:31 pm

I've worked with hour long DV clips that are 13GB each...in SD. Never had an issue.I have files now that are 80-160GB in size. All playing from firewire (FW800).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]