FORUMS: list search recent posts

Work with Canon T3i footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzin Daly
Work with Canon T3i footage
on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:41:58 pm

I have clips from a Canon T3i MVI.mov 1920 x 1080 29.97 H.264 interger [little endian] is the information I read. I thought because it was .mov it would not be a problem to edit. It does not play in Final Cut. The clips do play on QT. If someone could give me tips on the process to do whatever conversion is needed to play on FCP so I can edit them in FCP. This is the first time I am working with a DSLR camera. I usually work with Pro Res.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Work with Canon T3i footage
on Aug 17, 2012 at 6:42:26 pm

You need to convert the H264 files to ProRes.
I would suggest either LT or 422 for T3i footage. This is usually done via the log and transfer tool however you need to install the Canon plug in first. You can also use other apps like !Peg Streamclip for this. There is lots of info here about DSLR to FCP.
Golden rule though, don't edit H264 always convert to ProRes first.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Aug 19, 2012 at 12:28:52 am

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful. I also found that compressor will also convert to ProRes. It's always exciting when a problem gets solved. It's hard until you know how, then it is easy.
Thanks again Neil for your assistance. Everyone on the BB has always been very helpful. I can now but the tissues away and open a beer.
Best
Suzin

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:36:41 pm

I recommend the Log and Transfer window with the plug-in. I think it works faster then compressor and compressor some times crashes when it is doing to many clips. Just my two cents.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:37:19 pm

Stephen,

I couldn't find where to get the plug-in. I agree with log and transfer. I had to do something and it worked... it did take forever.
If someone could guide with me with a link to the plug-in download it would be so appreciated. I would much rather work with log and transfer. Best Suzin

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:46:05 pm

There was a great site that was easy to follow and it looks like it is no more. Take a look at this one:

http://thebuibrothers.com/blog/2010/03/how-to-canon-t2i-with-eos-movie-plug...

In a nutshell you download the EOS 5D Mark II, EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro 1.3. Then you add a line of code to it to include the T2i or in your case the T3i. And then you can log and transfer the footage in FCP. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]