FORUMS: list search recent posts

120 FPS import???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Siro Soliani
120 FPS import???
on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:50:40 pm

I am sort of new to Final Cut. I am using Final Cut Pro 6.0.5. I tried to import at 120 FPS because I recently picked up one of those new GoPro cameras, but it only seems to import at the standard 24 or 30 FPS. Is is possible to import a session at 120 FPS?

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
Re: 120 FPS import???
on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:12:47 pm

You need to use the cinema tools app to conform your footage to whatever frame rate you want to edit in to get that true slow motion look.

Duplicate your footage before conforming. I'm not sure if it will create a new copy

Pat Harris
http://www.CinematicDSLR.com

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:54:07 pm

Nope, no to my knowledge. Since nothing plays at 120 you should try to use a 60fps timeline and see if time remapping it manually gives you that extra information, (or if it plays at normal speed, or if it plays at half speed). You will know if it is by reducing the speed to 50% and if there is no nasty jitters or frame blending or if it looks choppy or not, it should be smooth. Otherwise try whatever setting you're finishing at and try the time remapping there. I would try the 60fps just because it's half of 120 and if it plays normal speed and not slo-mo then you can at least test to see what you can edit with. I am assuming you don't want all your footage slowed down so if you did the cinema tools way, you should use QT 7 and set in and out points and SAVE AS to keep your original intact in case something goes wrong later on and then use cinema tools to conform selects to your editing timebase.
Also, you could bring it into after effects and you can use whatever timebase you want, or even change the interpreted frame rate if you wished. (maybe Motion allows you?)
Testing as much as you can to see what works and what doesn't is usually what happens.

-Keith
ps- sorry you got a gopro, those things are an editors nightmare like h264

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Siro Soliani
on Jul 24, 2012 at 5:19:22 pm

The GoPro is totally horrible. I returned it already. I just used it for the underwater capabilities. I didn't try After Effects yet but I am going to give it a whirl. I am still a little novice at that program so any advice you can give would really help me out.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:19:26 pm

Sure. Import it into AE and when you select it in your project tab is it reading it at 120fps? If not, right click on it and choose "interpret footage/main" from the popup and set the "conform to frame rate" to 120.
If it did interpret it correctly, just drag and drop it on the "make new composition" button at the bottom of the project tab (the third from the left) and it will make a composition at the correct frame rate and length. Then, for time-remapping, right click on the layer name in the comp and choose "time/enable time remapping" or cmd-opt-T, and it will place a keyframe at the beginning and the end of the layer. Then from there if you want to slow it down you need to make your comp longer, to do so just make sure your comp is selected and use cmd-K to open composition settings and in the duration field increase it by a few or more minutes than is already there and click OK. now to make it slower, pull the end keyframe to the right and it will slow your footage down. The duration should be set to twice the normal duration and that would give you half speed. If you want it slower then figure out the timebase it will be at for final playback (say it's 24) and adjust the duration accordingly for each shot to be about 3x as long.

Hope this helps!
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]