FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interactive map with video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Reed
Interactive map with video
on Jul 3, 2012 at 7:59:00 pm

I would like to have an interactive map with a video I'm working on. It will be a split screen, video from police car on one side, and a map on the other side. I would like the map to show the route the police car is taking during the chase.

Has anyone done this or something similar?
Or, does anyone know how to do the interactive map part?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Interactive map with video
on Jul 4, 2012 at 11:32:53 pm

You want the path taken to animate across the map as the chase progresses, I suppose? Like the Indiana Jones map effect? There are many ways to do this.

One of the nicest-looking ways is to build this in Apple Motion. You draw the entire path out with the bezier tool, and set a keyframe at the beginning and ending for the revealing of the starting and end points. That method lets you put a nice arrowhead on the end if you like

Was that confusing? This way is more elementary:

Bring your map into photoshop.
Duplicate the map into 2 layers, turn off the top layer.
Draw the entire chase path on the bottom layer. Turn top layer back on.
Save out a psd file with all layers saved. Bring that into final cut or any editor. Set the duration of these two tracks to be the same as your chase video. If possible, use the audio track of the chase for timing, or you can just make that a third layer you turn on and off as needed to help you find the timing for each portion of the path, like, when a turn is made.

Put the unchanged original map layer on track 2, the one with the line drawing on layer 1, under it.
Select the top track 2 layer by double-clicking on it, go up to your MOTION tab, find the CROP controls. You can keyframe the crop to animate and reveal the line as it progresses, and this will look great as long as the path doesn't turn back on itself, or cross over itself. In those cases, building the thing in Apple Motion is better.

If you just want to animate a little car symbol on the road, and not leave a trail behind it, make a graphic of the car on it's own layer with an alpha channel in photoshop. Save that out as tiff targa or png with millions of colors to rpeserve the alpha channel, and lay that on track 2, where you can keyframe it's position over a map on layer 1.

I would render the whole thing out as a mov file, then start a new project, bring the map video and in-car camera video together, synch them up, time-wise, and use your crop/positioning tools to arrange your 2 screens in one. But since you already have the in car camera video synched up in track 3, you could save a step: turn that track back on, double-click it, and use the Motion tab to scale, crop, and position it to make your 2-screen final images. The map layers need to be moved together, in synch, if you scale them or move them.

Clear?

Return to posts index

Jim Reed
Re: Interactive map with video
on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:50:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I never thought about motion. I'll get started on it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]