FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Advanced Training vs After Effects intro training?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jasmine Sym
Final Cut Pro Advanced Training vs After Effects intro training?
on Jun 20, 2012 at 3:36:12 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice as I want to continue developing as a video editor and am looking for new courses to study. I have taught myself to use Final Cut Pro 7 using the tutorials in the manual and have edited a few films from start to finish going over colour correction, sound editing, etc.

I wanted to know whether anyone out there thought there was much to learn from an Advanced Final Cut Pro 7 course? I dont want to spend money on something that i could learn on -line. Alternatively would it be better to learn how to use After Effects? I dont plan on incorporating complex graphics but it would be nice to have the option to make the final product more animated.

Will eagerly await expert opinions!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro Advanced Training vs After Effects intro training?
on Jun 20, 2012 at 4:42:04 pm

FCP 7 is discontinued software. No longer being developed. spending money to learn it would be a waste. People might use the app for a couple more years, but really, they will need to move onto NLEs that are continuing to develop.

FCP 7 isn't.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 20, 2012 at 6:01:29 pm

+1. Exactly what Shane said. No use in spending money further developing your knowledge and skills in a software that is dead. Better spend it on training material for After Effects, Premiere Pro, or Avid Media Composer (of FCPX if you're so inclined).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 20, 2012 at 9:33:57 pm

Well, just to be contrarian (because it's always useful for ONE person to be), I'd suggest you evaluate Final Cut Pro x, which may in some cases be useful to people. Further, if you think you know FCP 7, spend some time with Apple Motion, which you already have, before you start learning After-Effects. A good grounding in Motion makes you a more effective FCP Editor. And you already HAVE the application, might as well play with it. Same for Apple Color and practicing some DVD authoring in DVDSP.

Sure, you should learn AE; everyone should. However, the speed with which one drops their use of FCP is not a universal consatnt for everyone. For some folk, they will be happy using it for years yet. For others, FCP-X has gotten a little less half-baked in the past year while the haters weren't looking. I myself plan to try out a copy of it in the near future.

Then again, you may decide to just rip the bandaid off right now and jump to Avid, Adobe Premiere, Smoke, Lightworks, what-have-you. Just because some of the guys here with big facilites decide one way, doesn't mean eveerybody needs to go in lock-step. Evaluate them all, decide what's right for YOU.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:35:38 am

Equally good advice from Mark.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Jasmine Sym
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:11:14 pm

Thanks all for your opinions and advice! It certainly helps to get an idea of all the different ways of doing things and I've found all your comments really helpful...now comes the fun part and putting them into action :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]