FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best configuration for the new MacPro 2012?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Armani Del Rio
Best configuration for the new MacPro 2012?
on Jun 16, 2012 at 12:42:55 am

Now that the "new" MacPro line came out. I'm going to purchase it. I decided that the MacPro is definitely the Mac I want. 

What I'm using it for:

I'm going to be using final cut pro to edit my shorts. (Which will be about 20-30 minutes each). I will also be making YouTube videos that would last 3-5 minutes each. (skits, music videos, and some other fun stuff)

Also I'm going to be doing some basic music production. Recording music, and mixing. 

Playing WoW in my free time. :)

Camera:

Currently I have the Cannon HFS200. But I'm looking into better cameras as well. 

Issues: 
Since I'm going to make the investment into the macpro, I feel the 12 core would be the best fit. I want a smooth editing experience, unlike my cheap windows computer which makes me want to cry because of how slow it is (not to mention trying to edit when the video is skipping). Most frustrating experience in the world.

Right now I have $6,000 and I'm going to finance the rest or just save more. If possible I want to cap it at $8,000 or less. 

I been searching for a couple of weeks on the best configuration for my long-desired MacPro. I would greatly appreciate it if some one could give me a run down on a good config. 

Before anything, I wanted to know is it a smart choice choosing the 12 Core MacPro? It's what I have been leaning towards. I want to make sure I put my money in the right places. 

For a  fast and smooth editing experience what is your opinion:

1 What processor? 

2 How much memory? (Ram)

3 Which graphics card? 

4 Do I have to fill up all four hard drives bays? (or just 1 or 2 bays). 
What's the recommended amount for the how much I should put on the drives. 

5. External drive? 

I will be purchasing Apple's monitor aswell. 

Thank you so much in advance. I have been wanting a Mac for a very long time. 

Oh, I'm not rich by any means. So I want to make sure every dollar has a reason for being spent lol. 

Return to posts index

Armani Del Rio
Re: Best configuration for the new MacPro 2012?
on Jun 16, 2012 at 2:01:55 pm

Anyone?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 16, 2012 at 9:22:55 pm

Don't buy the current Mac Pro, it is far outdated and way overpriced. I'm waiting to see what they do in 2013. I would hate to be in the position of NEEDING a new Mac right now, if you can, wait. Hopefully the "real" new Mac Pro (or it's replacement) will be a viable solution...

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 16, 2012 at 9:32:00 pm

David is right, buying that MacPro now is not a wise investment.
Buy the biggest, fastest iMac you can, It will edit for you just fine.
Get some external ThunderBolt drives.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Armani Del Rio
on Jun 16, 2012 at 10:41:39 pm

Thank you guys for the responses. Wow, I totally had my mind set on the MacPro. I don't think I can wait until next year. Would it really be a bad investment/choice to get one?

The only reason I didn't like the iMac was because I like being able to expand in the near future. But I'm not completely against the iMac. 

Will the top iMac have the power and speed to complete 30 minutes and up hd short films? (With a smooth editing process.) or will it be really slow? 

I will be using
1 Final Cut Pro for HD Editing 
2 PhotoShop
3 Music Production programs 
(Including hooking my Mac up to equipment to record) 
4 Playing World of Warcraft
5 and using it as my regular computer

I'm coming from a horrible windows experience, so I'm very cautious with my mac choices. 

As for the thunderbolt external drive, there are four choices. For the workload I mentioned what would be the best choice?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 17, 2012 at 12:27:24 pm

Make sure FCP will install on the. We Mac with the new OS...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 18, 2012 at 5:02:12 pm

FWIW, I'm in about the same position as you, and about to pull the trigger on a current imac purchase. It's way less than the cost of the mac pro, but capable enough for what we want to do, and one or two jobs should pay it off. Then when the better imac comes out some time next year, if it's improved enough to warrant an immediate purchase, I'll give this imac to my wife or kids, and get the newer one. I just don't want to wait another year, got stuff I wanna do NOW. I'm still on a G-3 imac at home (the one that looks like Luxo junior). It must be 13 years old. I am past due for an upgrade. The larger new imac I'm looking at costs out around 3500 dollars with all the toys, maxed out on drive, RAm, graphics card, etc. I don't play Warcrack or online games, but it should be a very nice ride for Laminar Research x-Plane flight sim, and for noodling around in Garage Band and animation programs, as well as everyday computing need and making the occasional private video jobs.

You should like the built-in SSD drive for the operating system and programs, it will boot and run very fast. Get the 2 terrabyte internal storage as well, so there's a media drive that should handle your smaller high def projects fine. AJA makes a very cheap gizmo to attach to your thunderbolt port and enables the imac to feed a pro broadcast type recording deck for mastering-out to tape, or for connectiing to a broadcast-quality TV monitor to check picture quality properly.

I plan to max out the RAM on the computer AND graphics card from the outset. I hear you can buy cheaper RAM elsewhere and install it yourself to save a few sheckels. I don't know just how accessible the RAM area is in a current imac. Maybe Walter or someone with more experience will chime in about that.

Return to posts index

Jake Thomas
on Jul 8, 2012 at 8:50:15 am

Ok, instead of waiting for a year. I suggest getting the new MacBook pro with retina display and using the extra cash in investing a new camera. Final cut was practically adjusted to the new MacBook. I'm currently saving my cash. Even though a desktop would seem logical and powerfull enough. The new MacBook will get you by with flying colors. I have the canon T3i and I'm video editing a ton. Vegas is not cutting it for me and using an iPhone and iTunes and everything. My windows XPS is outdated and a chore to use. The reason I'm not switching to a iMac is simply because there's no retina display, and the specs in which you can customize arnt all that great. Though a macpro is a wavering descision, the MacBooks mobility will also be a contender. Hell the way I look at it is. Wait till mountain lion comes out. Pick up the MacBook pro with a whopping 2880x1800 pixels. Edit Where ever i want to and still do it in good time. 16 g of ram. SSD drive for speed and got a 2.7Gzh. Man what else would you need. I can literally take my video SD card. Take it out of my canon and slip it into this lightweight MacBook pro. The way I see it is I'm not really losing or winning anything. Hell 12 core is a little dramatic. Can't even use all that power with the processor. And a good chunk of your money is going to that terabyte hard drive which. You can buy terabytes now for less. You got mobility and the best of its time. Now I will say. There's no going back once you've configured your MacBook. It's anti-upgrade able and from the research iv done. A pain to get into. With a desktop you have something you can tinker with a little more. So in my opinion, crank the MacBook pro up with as much as you can. Anyway hope this MSG finds you well. And don't be too glamorous about the 12 cores of power. Exporting a dope video Well. You just don't need all that. I say. As a young cinemetographer and Mac user. I'm looking for power and Speed for my videos. And of course the crispness of final cut apple has to offer. Do yourself, your videos, and your time a favor. Get the retina display.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]