FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and transfer 5D Mk111 footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason cockcroft
Log and transfer 5D Mk111 footage
on May 21, 2012 at 1:56:53 pm

I'm having trouble bringing Canon 5D Mk111 footage through FCP7's Log and Transfer (the usual invalid directory structure warning). It could be because a couple of the files didn't copy over onto my HD. I can't get to the client and copy over the clips again until tonight. I've downloaded the latest e1 plug-in, still no joy. Instead of struggling on, could I put the clips through MPEG Streamclip and convert to Apple Prores 422 (my required format) as a Quicktime movie and then just import it into FCP7? Will I lose any quality doing it that way? Also, some of the footage is 50fps. The clips aren't marked clearly as to which is 25fps and which is 50 fps. I've never done this before but I'm assuming when I transcode the files I need to put in the accurate frame rate in order to get the slow-mo effect of 50fps? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Log and transfer 5D Mk111 footage
on May 21, 2012 at 3:58:46 pm

Hi Jason

You will be fine using MPEG Streamclip if Log and Transfer won't play nice for whatever reason. You won't loose quality using that.
You will easily spot the 50 frame stuff as it will be 1280x720 as opposed to 1920x1080 for the rest.

Once you have transcoded all your clips you can indeed just import them into FCP 7. However the 50 frame stuff will play at normal speed if you just import it.
So what you need to do is conform the 50 frame files in Cinema Tools to 25.

I would make a copy of them and then conform the copies, as you can't go back to 50 should you need to for any reason. This takes seconds. Then import these files and they will play at half speed.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on May 21, 2012 at 5:00:29 pm

I suggest latest version 5DtoRGB. Don't forget to use rec.709 matrix to transcode files from Canon 5D Mark III. MPEG Streamclip would be my last choice which I'd resort to if everything else failed.

Production and Postproduction in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 11:35:56 pm

5DtoRGB does the best job, but takes A VERY LONG TIME. Just keep this in mind. MPEG STREAMCLIP works fine...but you need to pay attention to the settings.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 22, 2012 at 9:28:18 am

[Shane Ross] "5DtoRGB does the best job, but takes A VERY LONG TIME."
Indeed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

jason cockcroft
on May 24, 2012 at 10:09:39 am

Thanks Neil, you were absolutely right. Never managed to get the MKIII clips through Log and Transfer – just put it through MPEG Streamclip as 50fps, which took a while. Then put the clips through Cinematools conforming it all to 25fps. Looks fine now. thanks everyone for al your help and advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]