FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Produce Faster, More Tricked-Out Photo Montages

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
How to Produce Faster, More Tricked-Out Photo Montages
on May 15, 2012 at 1:09:13 am

When a high-end client wants a really tricked out photo montage, I create it in FC and pull out all the stops. I treat each picture with different looks, layers, speeds, motion, floating titles, etc. It takes days and I charge $3000-$5000. Some clients aren’t too excited saying that for the price and time, the finished program isn’t a whole lot better than dumping a bunch of photos in iMovie and applying a bunch of presets. And… I have to agree with them.

What's out there and available to produce photo montages quicker, and photo montages that are more progressive? Ie is FC the most efficient timeline to be cutting a photo montage in, to be applying motion to? Are there other editing platforms that have a faster more intuitive approach to treating individual pictures? Also, can I get some recommendations for software programs that have some hip, progressive looks and moves, that are superfast and intuitive to work with?

I’m seeing things on tv and online that are highly produced, ie on entertainment shows, where they’ll have a 2-3 minute segment that’s so tricked out and has so many layers and effects and variables, yet I know it didn’t take them longer than an hour or two to put together.

Any input is appreciated. tx

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to Produce Faster, More Tricked-Out Photo Montages
on May 15, 2012 at 1:43:45 am

[Thomas Hughes] "where they’ll have a 2-3 minute segment that’s so tricked out and has so many layers and effects and variables, yet I know it didn’t take them longer than an hour or two to put together."

How do you know that? Dude, they take a LONG TIME. I've done that stuff...VH1 shows where we have like 4 pictures of Brittney Spears as a kid, and we need to do hyper moves and tricked out effects...and make them look like 30 pictures. That...takes...time. Might take me all day to do 3-4 minutes.

Entertainment shows have MULTIPLE editors...so it might take one a few hours for that 1 minute montage. Hours because that's like all they do, and they are good at it. I didn't have that pressure, but I have done them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 17, 2012 at 4:57:08 pm

Thomas, you might want to look at building templates for this stuff in Apple Motion or using AfterEffects. Right now the COW is promoting some very cheap AE template collections that look pretty sharp, you just drop your content into thr image wells and render it out. Plus, you could modify the templates to further customize them. Motion offers soem similar stuff but not yet as deep a collection to draw upon as the AE community.

I think montages are better done in Motion, playing with the filters and particle effects and 3-d camera there. Keyframing is much simpler in Motion than the FCP timeline, more intuitive to me than AE looks. I encourage you to open up one of the supplied Motion templates, drop in some shots and just play with it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 18, 2012 at 10:42:48 pm

iMovie does some cool photo montages. But it is not easy to customize. Templates are good to look at. Also check out the CoverFlux plug-in that is free: http://idustrialrevolution.com/idrplugins/coverflux/index.html
Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]