FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC and PAL Formats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan Hanneken
NTSC and PAL Formats
on May 14, 2012 at 3:36:38 pm

Hello! Sorry if this is a repeated question, but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. I live in the USA and created a NTSC wedding video for a bride using FCP, Compressor and DVDSP. She now wants to send the DVD to her family in Britain. I have read conflicting articles that all PAL DVD players can play NTSC videos and there is no need to convert. I am not sure if I need to create this DVD in a different format or if she can just send the NTSC version that looks great when played here in the US? I did go ahead and do a conversion in compressor to a PAL preset setting, which they quality looked very pixelated. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: NTSC and PAL Formats
on May 14, 2012 at 5:36:34 pm

Ya, using Compressor to make a PAL version is never going to look very good.

I would send the NTSC. As I understand it, PAL DVD Players- most of the time will play the NTSC disc just fine.

If it comes back that they cannot play it (probably won't) them tell them we have to get this NTSC master converted to PAL and it's going to cost to have a foreign conversion done. Then you, find a place that does Foreign conversions and have them do it for you and mark it up some.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Megan Hanneken
on May 14, 2012 at 5:41:28 pm

Thank you Chris!! I will go ahead and try to the NTSC version. I hope that version will work for her. I appreciate your response!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on May 14, 2012 at 6:47:02 pm

Hi Megan

I am Uk based and the vast majority of DVD players and TVs will play NTSC DVDS.

Unless they have some really old TV that should be fine.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]