FORUMS: list search recent posts

Age Old Workflow Question:

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Angus
Age Old Workflow Question:
on May 7, 2012 at 5:24:00 pm

Hi there,

I've seen a dozen different answers to this question, and I still don't feel confident in my solution. I edit spots and deliver to DG Fastchannel using their Dropbox system for both HD and SD.

I deal with several different shooters, many of whom insist on shooting at 1080 23.98. We use almost exclusively file based formats, and don't have an HD deck.

Given that my final deliverables are 1080i and 720x486 @29.97fps, when and where is the best place to convert my framerate?

At present we usually do our main edit at 23.98 in FCP, send it to AE for graphic overlays and Color Correction in a 29.97 comp, and Send 29.97 back to FCP to marry with the final mix. Is this kosher?

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: Age Old Workflow Question:
on May 7, 2012 at 7:50:35 pm

i would send your 23.98 project to AE as 23.98 and then add gfx and cc and export back to FCP as 23.98. then add pull-down in Compressor and output as 29.97.
we get lots of DG material edited in 23.98 and we have to add pull-down in Compressor to bring it to 29.97 for broadcast. if you dont you will get repeated frames. in a lot of cases you wont notice the repeated frames but you will if you have fast horizontal motion. there is a droplet available to use in Compressor. i think you can find it if you do a forum search. or you can buy Nattress Film Converter and apply pull-down in your time line.

Return to posts index

Evan Angus
Re: Age Old Workflow Question:
on May 7, 2012 at 10:35:26 pm

Thank you Jerry,

Every time I use compressor to add pull down it comes in as progressive (reading 'none' in the field dominance column in FCP) even if I set it to interlaced in the compressor setting.

Not sure if this matters, It seems to look a lot better on the monitor than just dropping 23.98 footage into a 29.97 timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]