FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC HD / .MTS Conversion/Upload Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Lenihan
AVC HD / .MTS Conversion/Upload Issue
on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:31:27 pm

I'm volunteering for an organization that records their weekly meetings on video and would like these meetings uploaded to YouTube. They're using a prosumer Canon HF M400 that records in AVC HD .MTS format.

My goal is to take this .MTS, edit in Final Cut Pro, and get a file exported for YouTube upload. I've been using ClipWrap to get the .MTS file into a file Final Cut reads w/o need of rendering (I've been using the Apple Intermediate codec), and from there editing and exporting as a QuickTime file (see http://bit.ly/KehBsy).

The quality still seems a bit iffy (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzES7iMqLWc) and I wondered if people had any tips. One issue I thought was that my sequence settings in Final Cut might be "off;" I've simply been having Final Cut change the sequence settings to my original video when I receive a prompt asking me to change sequence settings to the original source video.

Any tips would be awesome! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVC HD / .MTS Conversion/Upload Issue
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:31:48 am

Apple Intermediate Codec is old, and really sucky. It's very lossy in terms of quality...not a good choice at all. use ProRes 422. If you have FCP 7...use ProRes LT. And a ProRes sequence...click yes to the sequence prompt like you have been.

I myself prefer to use Log and Transfer to deal with the footage. ClipWrap when L&T can't deal with it. Here's my workflow:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ross Lenihan
Re: AVC HD / .MTS Conversion/Upload Issue
on May 7, 2012 at 7:23:55 pm

Thanks for all your help Shane. I moved on to attempt a L&T from the SD card from my Canon HF M400 but have run into an issue. I captured the contents of the SD card in full onto my portable media drive, and tried (from Final Cut 7) to L&T from the folder where I dropped the SD contents. However, I received this error message: "(folder) contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media." The .MTS video format is AVC HD so I thought that FCP 7 had a built-in plug-in to read this footage, so am not sure why the error is occurring. Could this relate to the point in your video tutorial about how sometimes files are skipped when copying? Will I have to turn to something like ShotPut Pro?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]