FORUMS: list search recent posts

color correction example, tips needed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davide Marchesi
color correction example, tips needed
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:30:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I was very impressed last year when i first saw the Montana music video Tyler Williams realized for Youth Lagoon (

). I have now some footage to which I'd like to apply a similar effect in order to achieve that sense of dreamy/melancholic feel. What I see is mostly quite bright highlights and desaturation, but I can't really make out that sort of gloss I perceive. I know that one of the many "film glow" filters mentioned in other threads could really help, but unfortunately i'm just an amateur working on a 2008 basic macbook which does not allow me to run complex effects. I am not a very experienced editor, more so when it comes to color correction and it'd really help me if you had some tips to put me on the right track. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: color correction example, tips needed
on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:53:53 pm

I would check out Red Giants Magic Bullet Looks: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-looks/

Or check out Color, but that has a big learning curve.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:08:55 am

Thank you Stephen, but unfortunately I don't think that the Magic Bullut suite would work on my computer. It'd have problems to run the effects. I'm afraid that I'll have to rely mostly on the FCP color correction.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:17:57 pm

Your machine is so old it will not handle looks? You can always check out Color. If you want to do it in the 3-way color corrector it will not look like you want it to. But this will get you close:

-Decrease the Blacks and whites. This will make the footage look a little flat. Then decrees the Saturation. Move the Mid color wheel to blue to make the footage a little cold.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on May 3, 2012 at 11:27:55 am

Thank you for putting me on the right track. I eventually downloaded the trial version for the Magic Bullet Looks plugin to see if my computer can handle it. I will play around with it in these days. How do you think I should go about it? Is there any preset you were thinking of?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 7, 2012 at 3:51:13 pm

The Looks plug-in is real cool. You can quickly view your clip as everyone of the included presets. That makes it real easy to decide on which one you think works the best. And if it is close but not exact you can tweak the preset. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on May 18, 2012 at 8:31:50 am

Thanks Stephen. I eventually decided to give Color a try instead of buying Looks. I always wanted to learn how to use Color and this seems like a good occasion to start.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 18, 2012 at 3:05:53 pm

I'm a big fan of Color. It is an extremely powerful program that I'm sad to see no longer supported.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on May 23, 2012 at 9:28:52 pm

Right, it might be a bit silly of me to start using Color when its time seems to have passed, but I have started following some tutorials and I have to say that I like it.

I'm going through the grading of the footage I was talking about and thanks to your advice I feel that I am getting closer to the look I want. I can see I'm not yet there though. I have been working only in the primary and secondary room for now and I was wondering if there's any effect that you would suggest for me to use in this case? I think I'll add a little blur and grain.

Also, would you have any idea on how they pushed the highlights so much in some shots without affecting the rest of the picture too much or loosing too much definition. I'm thinking of the kid's white t-shirt which is always incredibly bright and some shots showing around 00:43 with that bright backlight.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 24, 2012 at 7:36:01 pm

Keep in mind Black Magic offers a Free version of DaVinci. http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/davinciresolve/models/

I was going to send you to a site with a bunch of Color Presets but it looks like the site is no longer up.

For effects there are some pre-built looks in the Color FX room. Click on the Color FX Bin.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]