FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting from DVCPRO to APPLE PRORES

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Manalang
Converting from DVCPRO to APPLE PRORES
on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:14:58 pm

I'm new to this so forgive me for my ignorance...

I've been editing HD video footages shot in PANASONIC HVX200 P2, shot in 23.976fps... Now that I'm almost done, I've been talking to a lot of people (including COLORISTS that I spoke to). They are asking why I did not use APPLE PRORES 422.

QUESTION: Should I convert what I did from DVCPro HD codec to ProRes? If YES, what's the easiest way for me to do this without starting from scratch. Is there an easy step in FCP that I can do to recapture from my RAW P2 files? If there is a way, will my existing sequences work fine if I just recapture raw files?

WHAT I HAVE:
RAW P2: from Panasonic HVX
Editing: Final Cut Pro 7
A/V FCP preset settings: DVCPRO HD 1080pa24

BTW, everything is fine with what I have but a couple of people I spoke with said I'll have better quality using Apple ProRes. Doing some test stuff, I noticed DVCPRO HD captures in 1280x1080, AND if I capture from APPLE PRORES it's 1440x1080. Since I'm not an expert on this, I'm not sure if the difference would be beneficial to what I'm doing.

I'm working on an indie digital movie hopefully for digital projection.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Converting from DVCPRO to APPLE PRORES
on Apr 22, 2012 at 3:41:34 pm

Your camera only shoots DVCPRO HD.
You will not gain any quality converting to Prores.
You will just use up time and Hard Drive space doing so.

The exception would be if you were effects heavy, a lot of effects and grading, and even then I'm not so sure b/c the original is DVCPROHD, does not apply to some basic coloring/FX/Gfx IMO.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]