FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to work with 50i and 30f/p footage at the same time - FCPX XHA1s

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Fryer
How to work with 50i and 30f/p footage at the same time - FCPX XHA1s
on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:32:53 pm

Hi all,

Brand new to iMac and FCPX... so really hoping for some help from the more experienced out there!

I've been shooting in 50i on my XHA1s for about a year, but have faced lots of interlacing issues which I've never managed to resolve. I didn't have a particular reason for shooting 50i, other than it was the default setting and optimum in terms of image quality I suppose.

Anyway, after much reading I've decided to switch to 30f/p as a fixed setting moving forward... so my question is, how will I work with these two types of footage in FCPX in the same projects/movies?

Is it simply a case of importing my new 30f footage and letting FCPX do the work, or will I have to get involved in settings? Presumably what I am trying to do is a possibility in the first place?! I really hope so, as I need to still use lots of my 50i footage in projects, at least for a few months anyway...

Any help or insights would be hugely appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Jimmy

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: How to work with 50i and 30f/p footage at the same time - FCPX XHA1s
on Apr 20, 2012 at 4:30:38 pm

I think you should re-post your question in the FCP X Techniques forum. I think most or all of us in this forum are using FCP7 or lower. Best of luck, here is a link to the forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:33:18 pm

50i is 25fps interlaced. It is reserved for Europre broadcast standards. 30fps is What we use in the US. The two frame rates aren't easily compatible. You'll have to use compressor to change the 50i to 30p or vice versa. You might have the best luck editing both together in a 60i sequence. FCP X might be able to deal with that. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Apr 21, 2012 at 9:02:13 am

Hi Jimmy

just wondering where you are based - if it is the UK deciding to shoot 30f as an ongoing format is a bit like saying - I am now going to drive on the right.

Obviously if you are US based then 30 is the right way to go.

Mixing the 2 is not a great option.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Jimmy Fryer
on Apr 21, 2012 at 9:59:24 am

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your help... and since posting and reading your comments everything's clicked a bit more.

I am indeed in the UK so it's 25f I'll be shooting with (as opposed to 30f!).

I can't find it again now to post for others, but I also found in the official FCP help somewhere that you can load in video of different frame rates, and FCP will adapt it accordingly to fit the timeline. It also said it's advisable to check in and out points, but that it's unlikely you'd notice the difference of 5% speed changes which are implemented automatically.

In saying that, as I understand it 50i and 25f are much more 'compatible' that 50i and 30f, so this really shouldn't be an issue whatsoever in my case.

Really looking forward to shooting with 25f from now on - interlacing problems have been a real pain, particularly when I shoot mainly for web.

Thanks for your help again guys :)

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Apr 21, 2012 at 8:05:29 pm

Even with expensive hardware standards conversion you still get some visual artifacts converting between PAL and NTSC
While FCP can to a degree sort out different frame rates its not quite as simple as just a speed change. The UK and US TV standards are pretty different and dont easily mix as you have realised.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]