FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reinstall FCP7 in Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert A. Jonas
Reinstall FCP7 in Lion
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:13:07 pm

Because of a software melt-down, I've had to Erase and Install on my MacPro (8-core, OS 10.7.3,Lion). I had both Final Cut 7 and Final Cut X installed. I could easily re-install Final Cut X from the App store, but I can't find a way to re-install Final Cut 7. My Final Cut 7 disks were an upgrade from Final Cut Studio 2. I have serial numbers for both softwares, in the box.
Problem: when I go to install Final Cut 7, it says that I must have Final Cut Studio 2 on my hard drive. But when I try to re-install Final Cut Studio 2, I get a dialogue box that says, "You Can't open the application FinalCutStudio.mpkg because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." I've tried transferring the FCPStudio App from my Mac laptop, but that didn't work. Yikes! I have over a hundred FCP projects that I need to access.
Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
Re: Reinstall FCP7 in Lion
on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:43:20 pm

Strange problem....it should only ask you for the previous version's serial number.

Here's a tutorial I wrote up a couple months ago on how to clean install FCP 6 on lion. You should be able to at least use part of it to get FCP7 in place

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1151917

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Robert A. Jonas
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:30:56 pm

Thanks for your comment. I figured it out. Turns out that I did my re-installs in the wrong order. After my Erase and Install I had re-installed FCP X from the App store. Then, later, I tried to re-install FCP7 and found that the Final Cut Pro software was greyed out on the Installer. Why? It's because FCP7 won't install on a machine that already has a more advanced version on it. So, I trashed FCP X, and then bingo, the FCP7 Installer showed Final Cut Pro as a download choice. After installing FCP7 again I then went back to the App Store and re-installed FCP X, and now I can use both softwares.
One interesting follow-up notice is that when I put the FCP7 icon in the dock, it overwrote the FCP X icon in the dock, representing it as a FCP7 icon. And visa versa. Strange. So I went into Applications and added the 7 and the X to the respective App icons. Now I can see both separate FCP's in the dock. Whew!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:59:42 pm

FWIW, the best experience I've had so far with 7 & X on the same drive is when I installed X first, then moved it to a new folder in Applications (along with Motion 5 and Compressor 4), then installed 7 (thus allowing it to install to the default location). Seems to be more stable than when X is let to move the FCS Apps to a new folder. I've done several clean installs recently and this seemed to be the best method (short of DRW's Ready to Rumble, partitions method).

Return to posts index

Pat Gallagher
on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:58:22 pm

I've had problems with my serial numbers. The original one quit working, for some reason.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]