FORUMS: list search recent posts

can i change the default settings of the vignette effect in fcp?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julienne rathore
can i change the default settings of the vignette effect in fcp?
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:43:43 pm

Hi,

very simple question:

Is it possible to change the default settings of the vignette effect in stylize in the video filters in fcp?
I wish to add a simple vignette to about 6500 still shots all at the same time. Selecting all the clips and adding the vignette is fine, but I don't want the default settings of the vignette.

Hope this is possible and if not, colour?

My main issue is the number of shots and I would obviously like to avoid doing anything one-by-one!

Thank you :)
julienne.

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: can i change the default settings of the vignette effect in fcp?
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:53:14 pm

If they are stills, you'd do MUCH better to use Photoshop and create a batch setting and automate the task. Plus, then FCP wouldn't need to render all the stills.

FWIW

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

julienne rathore
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:18:44 pm

Hi Todd,

thanks for the very quick reply!

I know you're right about the bask tasking in photoshop, but just for arguments sake - is there a way of changing the default settings of the vignette in fcp?

Have to render the stills anyway also - not sure why...they started as not needing rendering, but after a certain number of shots were added to the timeline (over 6500 total) the timeline is in need of rendering.

Thanks,
julienne.

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:25:00 pm

Hi Julienne,

No you can't modify the default for vignette, but you should be able to create a 'favorite' with the vignette settings you like and just drop that onto the image. (although that's still a lot of extra work)

Yes, you're gonna run into rendering issues with that many stills. FCP can use RAM for still images up to a point, then you're going to need to render. There's a slider adjustment for FCP to use more RAM. That will help a little, but with 6500 images, you're eventually going to need to render. With that many still, I would recommend breaking them up into smaller sequences. I wouldn't be surprise if FCP became unstable if you try to have that many in one or a couple sequences.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 23, 2012 at 9:13:05 pm

I totally agree with Todd's well-reasoned answer.

However, if you insist on going ahead your own way, just set up the first still with the vignette the way you want it, copy it's properties, then highlight all the other stills on the timeline and shift-click or right-click to paste properties into all of them at once.

The batch action in photoshop really is a better way to go, though. Or use a vignette built or templated in Apple Motion to apply your filtration to the timeline.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 24, 2012 at 3:18:50 am

[julienne rathore] "Have to render the stills anyway also - not sure why...they started as not needing rendering, but after a certain number of shots were added to the timeline (over 6500 total) the timeline is in need of rendering"
They started with RT preview available, this doesn't means that they shouldn't be rendered.

For better RT and performance, increase the "Stills cache" in the preferences.

The default setting of the effects is embed in FC code and you can't change it.
As Todd suggets, open the filter in the viewer, change the values, and drag it to the "Favorites" folder.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

julienne rathore
on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:16:54 am

Thank you very much for your help once again!

julienne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]