FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing unknown video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louise Macaulay
importing unknown video
on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:18:51 pm

I am going to be editing a friend's video files. They were shot on a Kodak Playsport Video Camera Zx3. A google search of this camera gives me the following specs:

File formats video: H.264 (MOV), AAC LC still: JPEG
Capture modes
1080p—1920 x 1080, 30 fps
720p / 60 fps—1280 x 720, 60 fps
720p—1280 x 720, 30 fps
WVGA—848 x 480, 30 fps
still—5.3 MP, 16:9 widescreen, interpolated

A "get info" on his files says they're 1280x720, H.264 AAC, 2 audio channels, total bit rate 8,119.

I'm not sure what audio/video settings and sequence settings I should be using in FCP for this. If I click "yes" to changing the sequence settings to match the clip settings when I drop the files into the timeline, it still shows the audio needing to be rendered. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: importing unknown video
on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:30:46 am

You can't edit that format in FCP. Not well anyway. You need to convert the footage to ProRes first.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:17:33 pm

Use Compressor or the free utiity MPEG Streamclip to export a MOV file of this footage in prores.

Return to posts index

Louise Macaulay
on Mar 22, 2012 at 9:07:24 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

I converted the files to Apple ProRes 422 in Compressor, then imported them into FCP, drop them on the timeline and say yes to change the sequence settings. The audio needs rendering and the file is silent whether rendered or not (it plays fine in QT). If I import a wav file and drop it onto the timeline, it won't play either. (also plays fine in QT).

If I open an entirely new project and drop the wav onto the timeline first, it plays fine. I then drop the mov onto the timeline and it plays as well (audio and all), but says it needs rendering.

I assume this is an audio/video settings problem?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]