FORUMS: list search recent posts

MTS files convert for Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah Mills
MTS files convert for Final Cut
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:54:15 pm

hi, I'm new to Final cut and if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to work with my footage on final cut however they are saved as .mts files which are not compatible. The files do however work on my adobe premiere pro cs5 on my lap top, however my laptop is just not powerful enough and too slow, i also prefer final cut for the particular editing i am doing. Anyway i need to convert the files so they work on final cut but want to preserve the quality they were filmed at, keeping it as close to the original AVCHD Video as possible - The footage was filmed in high definition 1280 x 720 (50frames/second) on a Panasonic Lumix G2 camera.

I have exhausted various conversion possibilities trying to find a file format that works with little success (being told by final cut that there is unsupported media, or if it does accept it, the footage has been squashed in various ways), does anyone know the right file output to use in Premiere Pro cs5 to convert and export my files to work in Final Cut Pro? Or if not possible in premiere, know of any other way i can convert the files and the best file type to convert them to.

Thank you, Hannah

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: MTS files convert for Final Cut
on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:17:52 am

You could bring all the clips into Adobe media encoder and transcode them to ProRes.

To bring them in, all you have to do is drag and drop.

You'll want to build a custom QuickTime preset that matches your footage size & frame rate and uses the ProRes422 codec.

If you do this, the resulting files can be edited in FCP7.

There are other conversion utilities that have these presets prebuilt, but why bother when you already own Adobe Media Encoder?

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: MTS files convert for Final Cut
on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:01:04 am

Hi hanna,
Download the "AVCCAM Importer":

Is a QT Component to manage the AVCHD files directly in FC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved