FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best practice for very large project, 50 hours....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marie-Line Villers
Best practice for very large project, 50 hours....
on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:45:00 am

Hi!
I've been looking into how to export to dvd and make chapters, but can't find the best practice for my project... It is an 8 day long course of all together almost 50 hours. Some chapters are more than 3 hours, others a lot shorter...
For now I have tons of sequence files in final cut pro, organised per shoot. So sometimes 3 sequences will form 1 chapter, other times a chapter will end in the middle of a sequence and a new will start.

So.... should I first make new sequences? Slice everything up in FCP into 90 minute videos?
Or can I export whole files with Compressor (is the 150 min dvd compression bad?) and then spilt it up in DVD Studio Pro?

All advise to start this in the right way and save me a lot of headache later highly appreciated!!

ML

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Best practice for very large project, 50 hours....
on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:09:24 am

I think you have a few issues here.

By default a file has to have a chapter marker at the start.
So if you have 3 seperate films that make up a single chapter you need to export it as one file or you will have a chapter marker at the start of each film.

[Marie-Line Villers] " Some chapters are more than 3 hours,"

What type of DVDs are you planning to use ? I would not try to fit 3 hours plus on a DVD 5 - As a rule 120 mins with audio is approaching the maximum for a single layer disc at a reasonable quality.

Also your DVD is going to be a bit annoying to navigate. If there was a 3 hour section that was all one chapter it would mean you could not skip along sections at all but only move by ffwd or rew.

90 mins is a much more manageble duration and will give you better quality but you could go to 120 if needs be.

Also I guess 90 mins also gives the kind of logical break point of "Chapter 1 part 1" in a 3 hour section.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Marie-Line Villers
on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:45:10 am

Hi
thank you for your reply. The previous time this was done everything got split up to 22 dvd's.... it's to be reproduced many times as an educational help. So, regular DVD-5's it would be. I don't need to put 3 hours on 1 dvd, just want to be as efficient as possible and find a good balance between space and quality.

So, should I make a sequence per 90 minutes? And group everything together first in Fcp? Or can I export the whole 3 hours at once and then chunk it up?
I'll be playing around with it tomorrow, just wanted to ask for some advise to win some time and not do too many rookie mistakes :)

thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:22:51 pm

Wow 22 DVD's thats quite some amount of material.

[Marie-Line Villers] "can I export the whole 3 hours at once and then chunk it up?"

I think you will find this harder and more fiddly when then trying to split it up to get to MPEG. I would export the Quicktime files as you need them on the DVD. Then you can encode them logically and if one fails/crashes for some reason you are not having to re-do a huge encode.

90 mins is a good time to aim at however you could go up to 120 mins per disc as I am sure you need a bit of flexibility with your "break points". But durations of between 90 and 120 mins max should see you with decent quality and allow you some flexibility when looking for logical break points on the longer sections.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]