FORUMS: list search recent posts

When shooting on prosumer cameras like the Canon T3i and Canon HFM400, prores or aic codec?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
When shooting on prosumer cameras like the Canon T3i and Canon HFM400, prores or aic codec?
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:09:23 pm

Hi folks,
I work in, what perhaps most on this forum would refer to as prosumer gear (or, some might say, consumer gear), including a Canon T3i and a Canon HF M400. I'm wondering if I'd get a better end product (i.e. video output to DVD) by using the ProRes codec (as part of Final Cut Studio) rather than AIC codec (as part of Final Cut Express 4). Would there be any advantage of one codec over the other?
Thanks for any thoughts you may have on it!
Vic

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: When shooting on prosumer cameras like the Canon T3i and Canon HFM400, prores or aic codec?
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:13:43 pm

ProRes. AIC is lossy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
Re: When shooting on prosumer cameras like the Canon T3i and Canon HFM400, prores or aic codec?
on Mar 17, 2012 at 9:47:55 pm

Thank you, Shane. I like the simplicity of your answer. I've asked that question a number of times on various forums, and I always seem to get confusing responses (which generally suggest that I wouldn't get any better image quality by stepping up to ProRes). Yet, my gut feeling is toward your answer. I figure ProRes, and the higher cost of FCP required to access this professional codec, must yield some greater return on one's investment. It only makes sense that the more professional codec yield more professional results! Thank you for your response.
Can you tell me whether Final Cut Studio 3 has many benefits over Final Cut Studio 2 (particularly with respect to shooting the aforementioned camera formats: T3i and HF M400)?
Thank you again!
Vic

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:01:46 pm

[Vic Noseworthy] "Can you tell me whether Final Cut Studio 3 has many benefits over Final Cut Studio 2 (particularly with respect to shooting the aforementioned camera formats: T3i and HF M400)?"

It has more codecs...ProRes Proxy, for cutting offline, then onlining at ProRes 422...or HQ if you shoot a 10-bit format (not those cameras).

But Studio 3 is End of Life...no longer for sale.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]