FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Corrector 3-way render issue.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amier Naji
Color Corrector 3-way render issue.
on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:38:34 pm

Hey guys, I'm editing a project and am currently color correcting because of of the shots were a little over-exposed. Right now I'm editing in h.264 from a dslr nikon camera. The footage looks great, but I don't think Final Cut likes it and as I've read, h.264 isn't the best format to edit in FCP with, but I'll get back to that.

The issue I'm having is this- Whenever I color correct, there is a preview that FCP gives for it, but then it requires a render (with the red line) to see the final footage. The preview it gives is darker and less over-exposed than the original footage, but actually looks like what I want. Only problem is when I render the clip, it goes back to being overexposed and even a little over-saturated. I don't know what it is.

I'm kind of wary about converting the footage to ProRes because of both the fact that the footage was shot in 24 fps and that the file size might be way too large...is ProRes the way to go?

I've also thought about color correcting in Color, instead of FCP but haven't really had a go at it yet.

What do the FCP gurus of this website think? I could post still pictures of the shots, if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Color Corrector 3-way render issue.
on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:13:46 pm

ProRes is the way to go - you can probably use ProRes LT for the Nikon footage or maybe use 422 you dont really need HQ and 4444 is certainly overkill.

FCP does not edit H264 well as you are finding out. Why not do a simple test - just transcode a single shot to ProRes - edit it into a Prores sequence and see how the colour correction works out.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]