FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with AVC codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Reynolds
Trouble with AVC codec
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:30:48 pm

Hi Everyone.

I have a 30min DVD, not copyright protected, that I need to grab a section from and edit down to about :30secs. I thought the best way to do this would be to use HandBrake to make a file, then import the file into FCP to make my edits. HandBrake made a file for me just fine, but it will only make an AVC file. I am on FCP 6.0.6, and I do not think AVC is supported. I get an error when I try to import.

My question is, how do I get this file into FCP so I can make my edits?

I have tried...
-Converting it using QuickTime 7. It fails every time.
-Tried MPEG StreamClip...fails every time.
-Tried ripping the DVD using VLC player...can't get it to work right. It will only do like :10secs of the clip

I'm stumped! Please help if you can! Thank You!!!!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Trouble with AVC codec
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:38:28 pm

Try copying the VideoTS folder to your hard drive, then use mpegstream clip to convert from the VideoTS folder.

Alternatively, you could use MpegStreamclip to convert the AVC you made with handbrake.

Return to posts index

Sarah Reynolds
on Mar 14, 2012 at 7:32:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Juan.

I tried to copy the Video TS folder and the computer will not let me copy and paste.

Also, I had tried using MpegStreamClip to convert the AVC file that HandBrake made, and it just fails.

Any other suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Mar 14, 2012 at 9:12:21 pm

Problem you're having with MpgSteamclip is strangely enough, broken timecode. Repair the time code (there's a menu option for this), and you should be able to rip it just fine.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:27:32 pm

You've got a bad disc. You need to find another copy. Or try a different DVD reader to copy the video TS folder.

If you can't copy the file in finder it means you can't access it on the drive. Are you sure it doesn't have copy protection?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2012 at 3:23:57 am

Forget about HandBrake here. That would convert it to MP4, no good for further processing.
You need MacTheRipper to get rid of the DVD protection, then MPGStreamclip to convert the MPG_2 to something editable (*b Uncpompressed is the best option).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 15, 2012 at 1:05:38 pm

Drag the .VOB files right onto MpegStreamClip, repair time-code breaks, and convert from there.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Sarah Reynolds
on Mar 15, 2012 at 3:25:02 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up downloading another ripper called WinX. It worked great and gave me an H.264 file that I was able to import into FCP 6 without any issues. I made my edits this morning and it's all done.

When I have more time I will definitely look into the timecode break issue.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2012 at 3:27:52 pm

Yeap. I misunderstood reading that the DVD was protected.
Drag the VOB files (no copy and paste) to the finder, then import to MPGStreamclip.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com
Edit: Sorry too late.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]