FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prosumer digital video camera with Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Neron
Prosumer digital video camera with Final Cut Pro
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:54:16 pm

Dear Forum

I am trying to see which prosumer digital video camera would be best to shoot indoor/outdoors music videos and indoor TV shows with Final Cut Pro. The only experience I have with cameras come from using 3 Canon AVCHD HG-10 with F/C pro in Multi-cam mode.
I would like to get something a better (less than $5,000) but not sure what I should by. Do I need time coding sync, do I need to worry about “ProRes”.

I am a newbie to the world of video recording and editing.

Thanks for you time

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Prosumer digital video camera with Final Cut Pro
on Mar 18, 2012 at 9:05:34 am

"Best" is a rather subjective term when you have a limited budget, but here's my thoughts.

At that budget I'd probably be looking at the Canon XF105 but check the other brands, as features are something of a compromise at that price point and one manufacturer might be slightly better than another for some particular thing that might be attractive to you.

Don't neglect sound.

Timecode is great for syncing multiple cameras and separately recorded sound, so it's a plus, but if you're going to be mainly shooting single camera it's not vital (I'd want it, but I might give it up if I had to sacrifice some other feature for it to stay in budget).

I wouldn't worry about ProRes as it limits your choice too much IMO (there aren't many camcorders which record ProRes, and you can always convert if you need to). I'd be much more interested in 4:2:2 TBH.

A choice of video outputs, such as HDMI and HD-SDI, is useful, and you'll probably want gen lock if you're going to use it in a studio.

Return to posts index

Philippe Neron
Re: Prosumer digital video camera with Final Cut Pro
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:53:56 pm

Thanks Andrew

For the first phase, I will be shooting mostly music and TV videos and assume I would need at least 3 cameras to capture best shots.?

I use 3 now with the TV shows - cheap Canon "HG10s" with no timecode. Thus I assume I would need some sort of GenLock equip.
What would you recommend?

Thanks again for responding

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]