FORUMS: list search recent posts

newbie clarification - FCPX / MOTION 5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mohammed Naseer
newbie clarification - FCPX / MOTION 5
on Mar 12, 2012 at 2:57:34 pm

Hi , I am trying to get a feel of things before I take a dip into all things FCPX / MOTION5 and movie editing in general. There is one question lingering at the back of my mind is will I be able to edit for instance a 640×480 ( 4:3 ) video which has been downloaded from youtube, with the owners permission, such that I am able to include HD (resolution) Transitions/Generators/Titles etc purchased from a third party, if not what is the lowest resolution/aspect ratio that I can edit. And will I be able to do the same with a footage taken from iPhone or an iPad or any other smart phone - thanking in advance, Nas.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: newbie clarification - FCPX / MOTION 5
on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:26:10 pm

yes, you can create a SD sequence if you want. FCPX will handle 4x3 material (with sidebars, unless you want to scale it up) in an HD sequence.

Yes, you can use h.264 QuickTime footage as commonly found in iPhones

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Mohammed Naseer
on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:29:22 pm

thank you for your reply, when you say scale it up to HD - do you mean for instance convert your SD footage to HD ( meaning H.264 ) format and then apply the 3rd party (1920 x 1080 ) HD template effects to your converted HD clip.

Secondly I am some what confused about different formats and codecs out there. For example I have a utility from iSkysoft which converts SD to an MP4 ( codecs : H.264, AAC, and resolution of 1280 x 720 ), but the third party templates are in 1920 x 1080 resolution and from my research on wikipedia h.264 means MPEG-4 Part 10 or AVC yet iSkysoft utility converts it to h.264/AAC instead of h.264/AVC. Does all this matter or can FCPX convert it for me to the right format so that I can apply the 1920 x 1080 templates to it

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:50:45 pm

[Mohammed Naseer] " thank you for your reply, when you say scale it up to HD - do you mean for instance convert your SD footage to HD ( meaning H.264 ) format and then apply the 3rd party (1920 x 1080 ) HD template effects to your converted HD clip."

If you start an HD project, everything is conformed to HD. So any clips that are 720x480 (or any other not 1080 or 720 size) gets blown up. HD is not h.264 - it's either 1920x1080 or 1280x720. Depending on which you pick, your SD clips will be automatically scaled up.

Motion behaves similarly, but different - let's straighten out with happens to FCPX, then we can move to motion.

If you place an SD clip in a motion template, you may have to scale the clip up to fit the HD size it was originally intended for.

[Mohammed Naseer] " Secondly I am some what confused about different formats and codecs out there. For example I have a utility from iSkysoft which converts SD to an MP4 ( codecs : H.264, AAC, and resolution of 1280 x 720 ), but the third party templates are in 1920 x 1080 resolution and from my research on wikipedia h.264 means MPEG-4 Part 10 or AVC yet iSkysoft utility converts it to h.264/AAC instead of h.264/AVC. Does all this matter or can FCPX convert it for me to the right format so that I can apply the 1920 x 1080 templates to it"

You're confusing the CODEC (CO=compressor/DEC=Decompressor) with the Frame size (1080 or 720 for HD sizes).

HD/SD refers to size.
h.264 (MP4, part 10) refers to the compression algorithm used
AAC is the audio portion of MPG 4.
AVC stands for Advanced Video Coding (it's another way to say h.264)

Now, with all that said, generally, you want to give whatever editorial tool (FCPX, Avid, Premiere Pro) your footage in the original quality. Each time you convert it, like making a photocopy, you're degrading the image.

So, don't convert what you have (or let FCPX convert it.) If I were going to convert some Youtube Video manually, I'd either go uncompressed (HUGE FILE) or Compressed in ProRes (Apple's Professional Resolution Codec, optimized for minimal quality loss). h.264 is typically a distribution codec (like DVD) and shouldn't be used as a source codec (although there are a number of cameras that shoot with them.)

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Mohammed Naseer
on Mar 14, 2012 at 7:11:41 pm

Thanks so much, that actually made me understand the various different terms being used with some help from wikipedia :-)

[Jeff Greenberg] If you place an SD clip in a motion template, you may have to scale the clip up to fit the HD size it was originally intended for.

→ can the scaling up be done by Motion5 or do you use some other software.

[Jeff Greenberg] So, don't convert what you have (or let FCPX convert it.) If I were going to convert some Youtube Video manually, I'd either go uncompressed (HUGE FILE) or Compressed in ProRes (Apple's Professional Resolution Codec, optimized for minimal quality loss).

→ When you say 'go uncompressed' you would I presume be meaning the original source file, which would be difficult to obtain that is if you are down loading from youtube . And when you mention 'Compressed in ProRes' this comes with both Motion5 and FCPX and then you would upscale it using ProRes from within FCPX or Motion5.

P.S: I am planning to purchase some training videos for both Motion5 and FCPX, but before I do that I am trying to get an idea if this is possible and are there any training videos/resources that you would recommend to me.

Return to posts index

Mohammed Naseer
on Mar 14, 2012 at 7:35:19 pm

Yes, I forgot that you mentioned upscaling is done automatically in FCPX but the conversion should be done using ProRes in FCPX, but can you also do conversion in Motion5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]