FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding a video transition works sometimes & sometimes not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Paul
Adding a video transition works sometimes & sometimes not?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:59:48 am

I have been using a cross-dissolve as a transition throughout a video. Most of the time, it just drops in, but about 15% of the time, it won't take the transition or it will only take it on one side of the edit.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Adding a video transition works sometimes & sometimes not?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:45:11 am

One or both of the clips don't have enough "handle" for the transition. Simply trim the clip at least as much as its transition needs to extend into the next clip.

Type the word "handle" into FCP's Help, to see the topic "Having Handles at Edit Points".

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:08:33 pm

Just to expand on this a little further - transitions require footage beyond the in/out point of the clip - you're essentially extending the clip. You're running into trouble because one/both sides of your clips have no extra footage.

Generally, as a 'best practice' never use the first/last second of a clip if you can avoid it - and this problem goes away. If you were to drag+drop one transition, you'll see on a normal edit how you can have the transition affect the left (ending at cut), center (centered on cut) or right (starting at cut.) When you do this for clips without handles, you'll see the difference.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 6, 2012 at 4:11:17 pm

Sometimes when you just don't have enough frames for handles, you can cheast a little by substituting a few still frames from the last good frame. Depending on numerous factors, this may or may not look smooth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]