FORUMS: list search recent posts

Highest Quality and Quickest Workflow for producing YouTube Content

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arturo Celleri
Highest Quality and Quickest Workflow for producing YouTube Content
on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:47:40 pm

I am looking to find the best way to produce videos quickly and get them uploaded quickly. The key needs I have is excellent audio quality (I have an Studio One Condenser Mic), and quality video archive for future production, and quickest workflow avoiding as much render time as possible. The videos will be anywhere from 5 to 15 minute music videos with minimal editing.

I have used the Flip Camera for this kind of thing for other purposes but for this job, I need better sound quality and a better quality archive. I like the ease of the Flip and quick upload.

I have 3 different cameras to choose from and all of them have 1/8" audio input.
Sony HDR-SR11, Sony HDR-FX1, and Canon Vixia HV30

When I connect Audio to the camera from the mixer board, I get a high background noise using the Vixia and the Sony HDR-SR11.
The Sony HDR-FX1 gives me excellent audio quality.

My goal is to be able to edit the H264 captured video (from Quicktime recorder ) and quickly process it into a simple video that I can upload to YouTube.

I learned that I cannot edit this in Final Cut Pro because it is a compressed format and that I have to convert it to a different format.

Can you recommend the best format to use? Im using Final Cut Pro 6.04

Can you also recommend a video Converter that would do the job best?

I also have a USB microphone (Blue) that I tried, but when I played back the video, the audio was not sycned. My hard drive may be the bottlenecking slow step that causes this.

I am looking for an overall recommendation on how to best to this job with what I have or even if there is a better set up I can buy that will work best for my needs. This is an ongoing web business focused on video production, so there must be great workflow's that exist already out there that don't have huge render times and processing involved. I hope someone can shed some light on the best way to do this.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Highest Quality and Quickest Workflow for producing YouTube Content
on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:15:40 pm

All I'm going to suggest is that you spend money.

Want to have perfect sync with a different microphone? Well, unless you slate at the beginning and sync the slates by hand - Plural Eyes does this for you.

Want to edit natively? Premiere Pro CS 5.5, Avid Media Composer and FCPX all will edit natively (although your computer will then be the bottle neck in rendering and performance.)

If you're going to stick with FCP 6? Transcode everything to ProRes 422. Yup, you'll still need pluraleyes for a perfect sync (unless you want to do it by hand.

Video converter? Free? Compressor. Many people use MPEG Streamclip, because it does a faster job (as it doesn't have to be network aware).

Premiere Pro, FCPX and Avid all have trial downloads so you can test this yourself.

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved