FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence and Project Naming Conventions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Brittany DeLillo
Sequence and Project Naming Conventions
on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:46:08 pm

I know everyone has them. I'm trying to nail one down that works really well and I'm looking for input from other editors.

Right now within FCP7, I have a bin called "*SEQUENCES". The asterisk keeps it at the top of the Browser. From there I have my "*MAIN SEQ" that I edit in. After my edit is done, I copy that and format it so it can go to AE for vfx and color. After that I create a third sequence that incorporates the final mix, final color, effects, etc. They are all usually called "*MAIN SEQ_001_CC&MIX". My versioning comes in the form of .FCP projects, kinda like "Save Incremental" in After Effects, C4D, etc. "CLIENT_PROJECT_VERSION".

I'm thinking I need to switch it up and keep my versioning within FCP or AVID or Premiere or whatever NLE I use. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thinking about experimenting using the advice from Shane Ross in his recent blog post. For all you haven't seen it, read it here: http://lfhd.net/2012/02/09/final/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sequence and Project Naming Conventions
on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:03:50 pm

Well...there goes me posting MY ideas then... you did it for me.

Hee.

Here's my bin layout:

00_SEQUENCES
01_FOOTAGE
02_AUDIO
03_GRAPHICS
04_STILLS

And then I have sub-bins. I explain all of this in my GETTING ORGANIZED DVD. But that isn't the point here.

I name my sequences PROJECT NAME, CUT TYPE (ie ROUGH, Directors, Producer, Fine...etc), CUT VERSION (v1, v2, v3), DATE and my initials. So...

Heartlines_Rough_v2_022212_SR.

But you got all that. Let's let others chime in. Just do not EVER call anything "FINAL."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:21:29 pm

Completely by accident hit the check mark "solution" button...

Thanks for posting Shane! I really found that blog post helpful. Sorry for stealing your thunder by posting the link...haha.

I too have my bins organized (though not numbered).

*SEQUENCES
AUDIO
FOOTAGE
GRAPHICS
VFX
_TRASH

And then extra bins within for individual scenes, Music, VO, certain graphics, etc. I really like having a Trash bin because I can dump things in there and not have to search through the finder if I need it again (though it is trash, you never know).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:26:13 pm

No one ELSE is chiming in??!

COME ON GUYS/GALS! Share...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:43:56 am

Same basic bin structure. I'm not afraid of sub-bins, which seems sort of silly if you think about it from an "I used to edit film" point of view (silly image of a film bin inside a film bin inside a film bin).

anyway, I'm a SEQUENCENAME_v1_20120223 kind of guy. That means I like the year first, in the date part, so it's in order. Why? you might ask? Cause the export date might change, for some other client reason, like "turn the music up here." (In my head I'm thinking but that's silly, but ok I do it anyway because they're sending me a check.)

I know that SEQUENCENAME_v1_20120324 is a microchange.

In 2005, a client needed some footage from the late 90s. The guy I worked for had been in business for over 20 years. The footage was stored somewhere in the vault, an ominous place, btw. We had to go back to invoices and job numbers to find the archive. Point is: very important to put dates on everything.

Return to posts index

Abigail Ball
on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:32:37 pm

I've improved my file naming conventions with all the suggestions listed above, many thanks. However, I have a question regarding edit versions and client viewing versions.

I work mainly in commercials where the clients generate many versions with all their changes (I suppose which client doesn't?). I duplicate my current edit and put the copy in a sub folder called "*Client" within my "00_Edits" folder. I add the same colour label to both so, along with the version number, I'm reminded that they're the same edit. I usually also change the 'roughcut/fine...' part to 'client'. E.g. "MD_roughcut_v03_20121109" becomes "MD_client_v03_20121109".

So, with that practice, I have a separate list of what my client has viewed without trawling through all my edits (and without just relying on a colour label to show which edits they've viewed). And my edit list has a complete version set if I want to go back quickly to a previous version.

This is perhaps a little fussy? What works for you when keeping track of what your client has viewed? Anything other than just appending "_client" to your edits?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]