FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange colour shift when transcoding.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Peer
Strange colour shift when transcoding.
on Feb 4, 2012 at 11:03:40 am

Hello all, I'm new to video editing as I've just bought a GoPro2 and now need to figure out how to edit the footage into something that looks good. I'm using FCP7 as that's what I had access to. As FCP can't take in the gopro files natively, I used mpeg streamclip to convert the gopro footage to .mov files that FCP7 can read. However, when I try and import them using the log & transfer window, it says it doesn't recognise the format, but I can drag it straight to the FCP7 browser window and play it without a problem, is that the correct way to go about it, bypassing the log/transfer window?

Also, when I play back the raw camera footage through quicktime it looks very different from the converted footage brought into FCP7. The original footage is much brighter, the colours more realistic than the converted footage. The parameters I'm using in MPEG Streamclip to convert to .mov files are as follows, suggested by a member here

menu => export to quicktime
compression = apple prores 422LT
frame size 1280 x 720
quality to 100%
Deselect "interlaced scaling"
Leave the rest of the settings as is and hit "make movie"
Choose name and destination.

Is it normal to see a big change in colour/contrast, I was trying to make sure I made as little change to the raw footage as possible on import.

Sorry if these are basic questions but I'm working my way through the FCP demo videos as I try and figure all this out.

Thanks,

Justin.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Strange colour shift when transcoding.
on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:08:05 pm

Why aren't you using Compressor (instead of MPEG Streamclip)?

Return to posts index

Justin Peer
Re: Strange colour shift when transcoding.
on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:12:39 pm

Because that's what was recommended on the gopro forums, so I started off using that. As I said, I'm very new to final cut studio and still figuring out what the different bits do. I'll do a test with compressor and see if I get the same effects, thanks for suggesting it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]